The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
speaker stands
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

speaker stands

hey all, was about to start building a set of monitor stands and was curious how to top them off. currently, my speakers rest atop 2" wide rips of cork flooring stacked 4 high in a log cabin configuration. my question is: is this a wise choice for decoupling? unfortunately, i am piss poor at translating acoustical data and was wondering if somebody might have some insight. if this is not a wise choice, any recommendations for very affordable (<$100) dyi decoupling solutions? thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf QuCork_STC_Results_Web.pdf (1.03 MB, 208 views) File Type: pdf QuCork_IIC_Results_web.pdf (1.07 MB, 180 views)
Old 22nd December 2010
SAC

Hmmmm.

The data sheets are nice, but they really don't help much in this application. So i am not sure what to tell you. It might? ;-)

Let's ask a few more basic questions.

What surface are the speaker stands 'on'. A slab floor, a wood floor over joists? .....

What is the assumption based upon that you need the speakers decoupled? Do you have a problem with mechanical coupling and conductive energy transmission (and retransmission!) through the supporting structure?

IOW, are you 'manufacturing a problem' and looking for a solution, or is there a actual demonstrative problem requiring a solution? If one needs decoupling, some Sorbothane placed under the speakers can do wonders,

As far as the flooring strips, if you have an appropriate accelerometer handy, it can be easily attached to the stand below the material interface and the effective mechanical differences measured.
Old 22nd December 2010

The cheapest way to do a test is to get a few old mouse pads (the neoprene ones from back when mice had balls).

Those are pretty effective decouplers and cheap. See if you hear a difference.

-tINY

Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

hey all, to answer one of your questions, the floor is 3\4 oak over joists...no sub floor. other than that, i really can`t answer any of the others! i guess i`ve always been led to believe that monitors will ALWAYS benefit from decoupling. maybe not always the case. perhaps ill just top my new stands with cork flooring and mouse pads for the hell of it....couldn`t hurt, right? thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search