The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best approach to build a stand for my diffuser? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

best approach to build a stand for my diffuser?

test
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

When you say 2x2, are you talking about feet? If so, your diffusor needs to be bigger to really function the way a diffusor is supposed to work
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

test
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

At the RMAF we brought our QRDs into the room. I had the guys build boxes that where 2'x2'x8"(thick). We put 703 (8"thick) inside of the frame and put the QRds on top of that. It had two functions, a stand and a bass trap. thumbsup
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

test
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

test
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

test
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

mount them on a plywood panel and suspend it from the ceiling via wire? this way you can space it off the absorbers a bit and not have anything on the floor. use a short wire to the wall behind the absorbers (on the bottom of the panel in-between the absorbers) to steady it.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Souds like Gullfo has a good idea and it would look better IMO. But make sure your wire is strong enough and that you find something really solid to screw it in cause that thing looks heavy!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

test
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

test
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow! You really used a lot of screws huh? heh

Seriously, if you have kids an your diffuser is close to a wall, please attach it to the wall just so it cant be tiled an fall over a young one or something. Just a small string with a hook should do. I can imagine a kid trying to climb this thing and have it fall over and I'm guessing it would be ugly.

I don't know much about acoustics but i dough those gaps will have any significant impact.

Last edited by MustacheVerra; 31st December 2010 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: grrrr wrong word...
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
Wow! You really used a lot of screws huh? heh

Seriously, if you have kids an your diffuser is close to a wall, please attach it to the wall just so it cant be tiled an fall over a young one or something. Just a small string with a hook should do. I can imagine a kid trying to climb this thing and have it fall over and I'm guessing it would be ugly.

I don't know much about acoustics but i dough those gaps will have any significant impact.

no kids.
i climbed all over the thing..i was very worried about having 90lbs that high off the ground with an odd CoG.

i climbed the thing, tried pushing over from the very top, etc..lots of testing --- the thing is sturdy as hell with zero wobbling of any sort. lots of screws and lots of liquid nails, but rather be safe than sorry. thanks for the input
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

any other input re: the gaps?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 View Post
You know I'd be more worried about the fact you didn't sand it than the gap because this unfinished wood might absorbe or diffuse in a different way it was intended. I mean I'm just saying. But i think it's going to be fine. Unless the pros disagrees.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
also,
are these gaps considered outside the range for tolerance?
will those cause significant issues --- or can someone give me a bit of knowledge on what is considered negligible in regards to skyline builds so i have a reference?

thanks!

I too would like to know. I'm planning on building a skyline but the nicer finished wood from Home Depot is bevelled on the edges, creating small gaps in between. Is this problematic?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

It seems to me that the worst that can happen would be a very tiny bit more
absorption and/or diffusion of some pretty high frequencies. I can't imagine
you could hear the difference.

To be honest, I'm not convinced that this diffuser is going to be all that
useful. A wall of them, plus some real monitors, in a real room, maybe. But
used more or less by itself in a less than ideal room doesn't seem the right
way to be doing things.

Your room is long, narrow and high, you're in the middle facing across the
narrow dimension right up against the wall and your monitors, which aren't
monitors and are in your face, must have some pretty odd interference
patterns with the drivers positioned the way they are. I don't see a qrd of
this size fixing any real problems, and it won't do much for your interior
decoration either.

I probably sound too negative. I just don't understand your game plan.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

test
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The tolerance is normally zero. I used a fill/glue compound to seal the gaps when I built my 2D's. Infinitely more easy to make it look nice if it's applied as the build progresses, as opposed to tacking it on after the build.

If the diffuser is open in the back, this may be positive as it can let deep bass through to the other side where there is often times absorption. When it's closed in the back, as in your design, the slots acts as closed Helmholtzes.

Still, cool looking diffusers! And the stand is great. I'll lend some inspiration from it for an upcoming diffuser build..
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

+1 to the above.

Unless the gaps are totally sealed, you might end up with a complicated absorber. The combined surface area in the gaps might be quite large and boundary layer losses might become significant. There’s a reason why you should avoid narrower wells then approx. 25mm.

/Jens

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search