The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
wool acoustic panels in australia? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th December 2010
wool acoustic panels in australia?

After some searching and turning up nothing, i need some help.

I am not a fan of the "egg carton" foam acoustic panels and much prefer the solid fabric covered ones much alike picture frames. I am chasing some either ready made ones or supplies to do it myself. BUT, there is nothing much of the wool or fiber batts for sale in australia, just the r3.5 glass wool batts for house heat insulation.

Does any one know where i can buy either supplies or ready made panels in australia?

Are the foam panels much better then the wool/fabric ones i like the asthetics of?

here is a pic of how i intend on starting the mixing room, sadly the room is 4m x 4m x 2.5m

Oh i almost forgot, I have no idea what frequencies need attenuation, but my speakers sound like i need to remove a buttload of highs (im going to start from there)

Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
Are the foam panels much better then the wool/fabric ones i like the asthetics of?
Foam is typically worse than rigid fiberglass, at least for bass frequencies.

Quote:
here is a pic of how i intend on starting the mixing room, sadly the room is 4m x 4m x 2.5m
What you need most are corner bass traps and absorbers at the reflection points. Putting panels directly behind your speaker is not very useful. More here:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

Gear Addict

GT, what town/city are you in?

In terms of "rigid" Glasswool, Fletcher Insulation (aka Insulation Solutions) has 96kg/m^3 Audio Panel for about $23/m^2 for 25mm thickness.

CSR Bradford has 130kg/m^3 Quietel 25mm for about $38/m^2.

You would need to find out from them who their local distributor is in your area. Be patient as these are not common products and will have to be ordered in. Also, they are too thin and would have to be combined with a thicker, lower density, thermally rated batt, installed behind.

If you are happy with semi-rigid stuff, 32-48kg/m^3, then the price comes down a lot and available thickness is up to 100mm. Again, though, not generally available on the shelf.

If you want Tontine Acoustisorb polyester batts and are in Sydney then get a quote from Independent Building Supplies 1300 662 554 or contact Martini Industries | Acoustic Insulation and ask about the "Absorb" product.

If you want "natural wool" then do a web search but pretty sure Eureka Insulation - Eureka Insulation ::: Insulation products, insulation services, insulation installation used to do it.

Edit: Since you like the look of the profiled foam then perhaps consider purchasing some 25mm open-cell convoluted foam, install onto a 45x90mm timber frame and then fill the void behind the foam with a decent absorber like Glasswool. You would be making a panel similar to what's shown on this page:

Easy 1hr Trap and Cloud

(scroll down to the 5th photograph to show the intention)

but with 25mm foam instead of the fabric and with a deeper frame.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Foam is typically worse than rigid fiberglass, at least for bass frequencies.

What you need most are corner bass traps and absorbers at the reflection points. Putting panels directly behind your speaker is not very useful. More here:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

Ah yes, i have come across your website before but had a good look this time round. I really dont wanna be a pain so tell me where to go (and find the info preferably heh ), If i am a broken record beginner.

So you say i need bass traps even though i have a very bright sounding small room, is this due to Phasing?

rigid fiberglass is just another name for fiberglass insulation batts? Coz bunnings have 4" thick R3.5 glass batts on the shelf for $35 for a bag of 7. This would take care of the early reflections if made into acoustic panels yeah?

P.S - Your videos are fantastic help, i learnt so much in the few minutes it took to watch them.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebg View Post
GT, what town/city are you in?

In terms of "rigid" Glasswool, Fletcher Insulation (aka Insulation Solutions) has 96kg/m^3 Audio Panel for about $23/m^2 for 25mm thickness.

CSR Bradford has 130kg/m^3 Quietel 25mm for about $38/m^2.

You would need to find out from them who their local distributor is in your area. Be patient as these are not common products and will have to be ordered in. Also, they are too thin and would have to be combined with a thicker, lower density, thermally rated batt, installed behind.

If you are happy with semi-rigid stuff, 32-48kg/m^3, then the price comes down a lot and available thickness is up to 100mm. Again, though, not generally available on the shelf.

If you want Tontine Acoustisorb polyester batts and are in Sydney then get a quote from Independent Building Supplies 1300 662 554 or contact Martini Industries | Acoustic Insulation and ask about the "Absorb" product.

If you want "natural wool" then do a web search but pretty sure Eureka Insulation - Eureka Insulation ::: Insulation products, insulation services, insulation installation used to do it.

Edit: Since you like the look of the profiled foam then perhaps consider purchasing some 25mm open-cell convoluted foam, install onto a 45x90mm timber frame and then fill the void behind the foam with a decent absorber like Glasswool. You would be making a panel similar to what's shown on this page:

Easy 1hr Trap and Cloud

(scroll down to the 5th photograph to show the intention)

but with 25mm foam instead of the fabric and with a deeper frame.
mate, thanks for the links, i have emailed and await responses from them. hopefully i can get this done without having to go international or into the $1000's for a small hobby mixing room. Oh and i live in townsville, QLD.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
mate, thanks for the links, i have emailed and await responses from them. hopefully i can get this done without having to go international or into the $1000's for a small hobby mixing room. Oh and i live in townsville, QLD.
I achieved great results using Tontine Acoustisorb 3. Very easy to work with and none of the hazards associated with glass fibre.

Before you buy anything, you should use analysis software to determine what needs treating. In a small room, it's pretty much a given that you will need as much low frequency absorption as you can afford. But it's not wise to do any of it without analysis, especially when determining where to place the speakers and listening position. Nowadays, with free software like Room EQ Wizard (REW) it's very easy to do the analysis and there's a huge user community spread across multiple forums (including this forum) to help you interpret the results and determine the best approach.

Sean
Old 22nd December 2010
I have been hooked up with "polymax" wool sheets. 4" thick with an absotion rating of 1.00 across all frequencies. sheets are 2.4 x 1.2 meters.

If i stick 2 of these together and put them on the back wall behind me will that make a nice bass trap?

I couldn't figure out that Room eq program. I will look into it a little later when my head isnt cooked.
Old 29th January 2011
Here for the gear

Hey I'm going to hijack this thread

I'm going to be building some fiberglass panels with wood and fabric.

I had a read of Ethan's site and I'm going to do wall and corner panels just like in the pictures, but I'm unsure how to approach the ceiling and wall/ceiling panels for a 30degree pitched ceiling as this type of roof as its not traditionally 'square'.

Here are some pictures of my room which is 4.5m long and 3.8m wide and 2.7m walls
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_JwlkJaY2IB8/TU...0/IMGP5446.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_JwlkJaY2IB8/TU...0/IMGP5447.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_JwlkJaY2IB8/TU...0/IMGP5448.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_JwlkJaY2IB8/TU...0/IMGP5452.JPG
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Jay
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

A peaked ceiling focuses sound, which should be avoided. The best solution is to hang panels under the peak as shown in the photo of my own home studio below.

--Ethan

Old 29th January 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks Ethan I was also thinking of running the panels down the slopes lengthways as well - what do you think?

I am going to do a panel construction similar to this
Easy 1hr Trap and Cloud

....but he hasn't backed his panels and I'm worried about the insulation creating dust, so I'm going to do a back fabric as well as seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***********

I'm thinking of using some cheap bradford soundscreen which is pretty easy to acquire and cheap, but not semi-rigid so its fibers fall out easily.
My next option would be some semi-rigid stuff which would hopefully not fall apart as much.

Now to pick some fabric - I'm thinking of using white and then spraypainting designs for art - or maybe find some cool fabric and make each one different like art panels.
Old 30th January 2011
Gear Addict

... or to use Tontine Acoustisorb or Martini Polymax Absorb, medium density Polyester batts, if you are concerned about fibres falling out.

Acoustisorb can be ordered from here, Independent Building Supplies 1300 662 554 . Ring Martini for their suppliers Martini Industries

if you want art on your panels then look into dye sublimation printing on the fabrics rather than painting - painting will clog up the pores and make the panels reflective at mid-high freq.
Old 30th January 2011
Quote:

Hi there

Wiz from Bundaberg here!! 8)

I got mine from ATT controls in Melbourne...they arranged for it to be drop shipped from Brisbane direct to me...tontine acousticsorb 3 that is.

Man, it was a mother)(#&%$(*@ to cut...I ended up using an angle grinder.
It would get caught in the angle grinder from time to time, and you have to be careful with the speed of the angle grinder cause you can melt the material...8)

But it took me about 3 days total...I built 22 1200 by 600 4 " panels for my studio and the whole lot cost me just over a grand....if I was to have brought commercial bass traps in from the USA or even gotten real traps from the distributor here in Oz...AWAVE.....it would have cost maybe 10 times that..

I didnt want fibreglass...and went with the acoustisorb....

good luck with it...its a lot of work, but worth it in the end...

cheers

Wiz
Old 30th January 2011
Oh one other thing...

for years, and I mean maybe 8 years...my bass traps in my old studios were bags on fibreglass stacked up on each other in the corners...then I hung/wrapped material around them.

I had 2 on top of each other in each corner.

I put an L bracket up the top of the wall, then wrapped an octopus strap around them to keep them in place......and then covered and wrapped them in some old "blacks" we used to use in the band....my wife nick named them the "grim reapers" as they were 8 foot tall and completely black...8)...

They work nearly as good, for all intents and purposes , as well as any bass trap...are extremely cheap, easy to instal and can be removed/moved around easily.

Worth considering.

cheers

Wiz
Old 30th January 2011
Gear Addict

Yes, the med-density Polyester is a right royal pain to cut.

For 50mm product, have used:

Angle grinder (thin metal disc, not sanding disk)
Large tailors scissors (shears)
Sharp snap-off knife (dulls edge very quickly)
Mechanical Fabric cutter with circular blade but also with recip blade.

It can help to clamp or compress the batt in the vicinity of the cut, whilst it is being cut.
Old 27th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have been hooked up with "polymax" wool sheets. 4" thick with an absotion rating of 1.00 across all frequencies. sheets are 2.4 x 1.2 meters.

If i stick 2 of these together and put them on the back wall behind me will that make a nice bass trap?

I couldn't figure out that Room eq program. I will look into it a little later when my head isnt cooked.
Hey you mentioned that Polymax has an absorption coefficient of 1.00 across all frequencies. Where did you get this data? I have been searching for it and even Bradford couldn't find a data sheet with this information. All I could find was a general sound absorption rating overall irrespective of frequency. I'd really like to use Polyester instead of Fiberglass if it performs as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search