The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What type of material do I need for acoustic panels Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

What type of material do I need for acoustic panels

I've got some frames put together and I'm ready to go buy some stuff to stuff them with...but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for exactly. I know that I need mineral wool, right? Is it all the same? What should I be looking for exactly...I was planning on heading to home depot today in hopes of picking some up. Also, does the fabric I use make a difference?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

would something like this work? im lost!

Shop Johns Manville 40 Sq. Ft. R-13 Fiberglass Insulation at Lowes.com
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

The best material is rigid fiberglass, which is much denser than the fluffy type you mentioned. More here:

Acoustics FAQ

--Ethan

Lives for gear

Thank you so much for that article, I found it incredibly helpful!

I do have a question about the curved deflector mentioned towards the beginning of your article. I'm in a bedroom with parallel walls and have all the materials to make a deflector out in my garage. You mention to pack the space between the deflector and the wall with "fluffy" fibgerglass...is that more along the lines of what I had linked as opposed to the rigid fiberglass?

Also, would it be as effective to make several smaller deflectors along one section of each wall, and would covering them in fabric have a negative effect as well?

Thanks!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Also just to clarify, I know that the deflectors are meant to tame high frequencies and flutter echo. I do already have a pair of bass traps in my room and plan on adding more soon - so I'm not neglecting that aspect
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

The fiberglass is just to keep the wood from resonating or rattling. As for fabric, I'd avoid that unless it's really thin / porous material like burlap. Otherwise it will absorb a little which defeats the purpose. Of course, you could use an absorber instead of a deflector.

--Ethan

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
The fiberglass is just to keep the wood from resonating or rattling. As for fabric, I'd avoid that unless it's really thin / porous material like burlap. Otherwise it will absorb a little which defeats the purpose. Of course, you could use an absorber instead of a deflector.

--Ethan

Yeah, I just read this line "Without question, the most effective absorber for midrange and high frequencies is rigid fiberglass"

I ordered some 703 today....looks like I'll be putting together some absorbers with my dad while I'm home for Christmas!

Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Heres a question regarding the fluffy batts of insulation. I have a pair of GIK bass traps in the corners of my bedroom....would staking the corners behind the bass traps increase the absorption significantly, or would it be better to leave the air gap?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthLine09 View Post
Heres a question regarding the fluffy batts of insulation. I have a pair of GIK bass traps in the corners of my bedroom....would staking the corners behind the bass traps increase the absorption significantly, or would it be better to leave the air gap?
Yes it would, but you would be better off to use that material to make more traps to cover more corner area. It is a trade off, thicker panels (or filling the corner) will increase the absorption of the bass trap, but covering more corner area is always better. Just make sure you make the traps no less then 4" thick.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Yes it would, but you would be better off to use that material to make more traps to cover more corner area. It is a trade off, thicker panels (or filling the corner) will increase the absorption of the bass trap, but covering more corner area is always better. Just make sure you make the traps no less then 4" thick.

If I were to make absorbers for early reflections....would those need to be 4'' thick as well, or would 2'' be enough to tame the mids and highs? Also, could you provide some advice on how to treat these types of corner/ceilings? Should I stick absorbers on the diagonal part of the roof? It is exactly 6 feet from the floor to the bottom part of the diagonal part of the roof, and roughly 8 feet from floor to ceiling. The room is symmetrical so it is the same on the other side. The drapes and window you see are the right edge of where my mixing desk will be.
Attached Thumbnails
What type of material do I need for acoustic panels-corner.jpg  
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Can't help you much on the hanging part but the early reflection panels can be 2"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search