The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need help - which diffusors fit into my studio? Dynamics Plugins
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

need help - which diffusors fit into my studio?

hey!
i want to treat my studio with diffusors. i'm totally cofused about what i've got to do since i read this article: QRD diffusers: Technical Overview
i just wanted to build some diffusors for my back wall and my side walls like this here: My home made diffuser
i found the qrdude software but i don't know what actually a design dephts is or a inverse panel for example.
i just wanted to build 8 pieces of N7-Diffusors (0,5m x 0,5m) for the back wall, four on the left and four on the right wall.
do i have to build some inverse panels or what is about the build dephts?

my back wall is 4,6m long and my side walls are 4,1m long. my speakers are around 80cm away from the wall. i'm sitting around 2m away from the back wall...if this helps. i already have got basstraps and absorbers but the only problem are the diffusors.
could someone please help me?
thanks
Old 16th December 2010
JWL
Lives for gear

Design depth is the physical depth of your diffusor. It will be frequency dependent.... is there a particular frequency range you need help with?
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
is there a particular frequency range you need help with?
i don't know but i could measure it.
i just thought that a depths around 12-15cm would work fine. i didn't know that the dephts depends on particular frequency problems.
another question would be if it's ok to place the same diffusortypes side by side. i was just wondering what kind of the inversed diffusors are.
you have to jnow that i'm completely unexperienced in studio treatment.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
thanks...good articles.
i've already learned the basic theory of diffusion, absorbtion and the LEDE-principle but it's my first attempt to treat a room with absorbers and diffusors. so my question is how to build some diffusors and if it's right to place them side by side onto my back wall. i was just irritated about that since i read the article where i found the "qrdude"-software. what is an inverse panel? i didn't understood what a design-frequency is. could somebody please explain it to me? what is the function of the software and should i build some inverted diffusors or do i've missunderstood something?

by the way...i really like this article:GIK Acoustics
i could measure my room at different seating positions so i see where the best place is to sit and to place the monitors.
at the moment my monitors are 80cm away from the wall behind them. would it be a bad idea to go more closely to the wall? i heard about interfering bassfrequencies when speakers are to close to the wall behind?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr87 View Post
would it be a bad idea to go more closely to the wall? i heard about interfering bassfrequencies when speakers are to close to the wall behind?
Usually (but naturally there’s exceptions), it’s preferable to move up against the front wall unless you can move back a considerable amount (> approx. 1,5 - 2 meters) and still sit in front of the center in the room. A close distance to the wall will push the SBIR effects up in frequency and is therefore easier to deal with (absorb).
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
Usually (but naturally there’s exceptions), it’s preferable to move up against the front wall unless you can move back a considerable amount (> approx. 1,5 - 2 meters) and still sit in front of the center in the room. A close distance to the wall will push the SBIR effects up in frequency and is therefore easier to deal with (absorb).
Spot on!thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

thx...
another question would be if i should use rockwholl instead of convoluted foam for absorbtion in my room. is convoluted foam not as usefull for absobtion as rockwhool? i've got already two basstraps made of rockwhool but on the sidewalls and over my listening position there is convoluted foam.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Foam is okay if it's genuine acoustic (open cell) foam. Some foam sold as "acoustic" is not, so buyer beware. But you'll do fine with major brands like Auralex and Sonex.

--Ethan

Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Foam is okay if it's genuine acoustic (open cell) foam. Some foam sold as "acoustic" is not, so buyer beware. But you'll do fine with major brands like Auralex and Sonex.

--Ethan

Here for the gear

hey...i've got a question to the acoustic calculator. there's a field called "frequency" to calculate the high and low frequencys. in default settings it shows 1000hz...what does that mean? is that the design frequency? if yes i would like to know what the meaning of a design frequency is.
another question would be what kind of material should be filled-up the spaces between the wells?
is it right that the prime seed number doesn't influence the high or low frequencies? if i change the number nothing happens unless the number of wells changes.
i want to build the wells of 1,5cm thick pressboard. is 1,5cm to thick? is pressboard ok?
could i also use ply wood? the thinest pieces here in the hardware stores are 0,4cm.

would you agree with me that building qrds is much more cheaper than skyline diffusors?
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Maniac

QRDude Manual - a good read

QRDude comes with an excellent manual. It has a glossary of all of the related QRD jargon, describes design scenarios, etc.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search