The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
micing a guitar cab? acoustic treatment needed? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

micing a guitar cab? acoustic treatment needed?

hi folks, i have just started building a home studio but my room isn't treated .. i also have to admit that when it comes to engineering, i'm a newbie... but definitely not new to recording in a studio...

a singer recently hired me to record a few electric guitar parts at home...

I was originally planning on just micing the cab with an sm57, but this guy seems convinced the more mics, the better... so i told him i could also use my gefell m930 to give a bit of ambiance...

anyway he called me up last night and asked me if i could record in a professional studio because my room isn't treated...

i can understand treating a room for acoustic instruments, but will it make such an enormous difference for recording a guitar cab??? i'm thinking this singer is just paranoid but i guess i could be wrong...

i just dont want to drag all my gear into a studio considering how heavy and expensive it is
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdmmc View Post
hi folks, i have just started building a home studio but my room isn't treated .. i also have to admit that when it comes to engineering, i'm a newbie... but definitely not new to recording in a studio...

a singer recently hired me to record a few electric guitar parts at home...

I was originally planning on just micing the cab with an sm57, but this guy seems convinced the more mics, the better... so i told him i could also use my gefell m930 to give a bit of ambiance...

anyway he called me up last night and asked me if i could record in a professional studio because my room isn't treated...

i can understand treating a room for acoustic instruments, but will it make such an enormous difference for recording a guitar cab??? i'm thinking this singer is just paranoid but i guess i could be wrong...

i just dont want to drag all my gear into a studio considering how heavy and expensive it is

IMHO the room does affect guitar sound if not treated,even if you close mic it. Also the more mics you use the more phase issues you get. I'd go for a SM57 right on the grill and a condenser a couple feet away for ambience and definately use some gobos or something like it to difuse reflections...
My tracking room isn't treated properly and I can actualy hear the bad ambience even on close mic's.
Hope this helps...
Rock on...
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

thanks for your reply! i guess i'll invest in some gobos to hear the difference!!!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

Over the weekend I recorded a fender amp with and without panels around it. It did make a difference. Granted it was not as bad as recording a singer in a untreated room but it did seem to help.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

very interesting to know!

thanks for the replies folks!
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

I did want to note that when I put the panels around (actually used our tri traps) I had the mic a good foot from the amp. It seemed to give more flexibility with the sound. Like anything with micing, YMMV.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search