The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic treatment options?
Old 4th January 2006
Here for the gear

Acoustic treatment options?

Hi there, i'm trying to treat my room for low frequency standing waves, and i'm thinking of building some bass traps....one quick question for anyone who might know....I'm planning on using OC 705 for my traps, but i just wonder if 3" thick DOW Tuff-R is comparable at all......it's prolly not, but i have a little of it and man does it shake if i hold it up near a back corner with a 60hz sine wave playing....

Thanks for any help!

Andy
Old 4th January 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Andy,

> wonder if 3" thick DOW Tuff-R is comparable at all <

The only way to know is to compare lab data for both products. Even that won't tell you for certain if one is exactly equal to the other, but it will get you in the ball park. Generally speaking, materials that are good for acoustics have absorption data available. So ask the manufacturer if they can offer any data and you'll have your answer.

--Ethan
Old 4th January 2006
Gear Maniac
The best way for the 60-120Hz range traitment is to build a "membrane resonator" i.e. a corner box with a plywood plate and some fiberglass inside. The thickness or density of the fiberglass itself won't be of major influence in this case, as the bass absorption comes mainly from the membrane "tuning".
Foam or fiberglass alone (sold as "corner traps") won't be efficient in the lower frequency end.
Old 4th January 2006
Gear Guru

I am not so sure about that.. Most smaller rooms do much better with broad band absorbtion.. Look at our lab tests and Ethans and you will see that it does pretty well at 60 - 120 hz..
I will say that wood panels are cool, but really for bigger rooms..

Glenn
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Maniac
You're right about the room size. But I don't like the dead sound of foam in small rooms neither: they often absorb more high frequencies than lower, and you get finaly more unballanced sound...

By the way, I thought your product or Ethan's were more resonator-like, am I wrong? Or are they more kind of fiberglass-boxes with some a fabric cover?
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzoing
You're right about the room size. But I don't like the dead sound of foam in small rooms neither: they often absorb more high frequencies than lower, and you get finaly more unballanced sound...

By the way, I thought your product or Ethan's were more resonator-like, am I wrong? Or are they more kind of fiberglass-boxes with some a fabric cover?
Ours are a 8 pound per cubic foot mineral wool based with a membrane like material to help more on the low end.. One thing nice about our panels, unlike foam, is you can fill up a room with them and it will not go dead. Just sound smooth with tight bass.

Glenn
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Maniac
Sorry if this is off topic, but I'd like to know if you have some distributor in France/Europe? Thx.
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Dzoing,

> I thought your product or Ethan's were more resonator-like <

I can't speak for Glenn because I've never seen his traps. RealTraps are not tuned, though they use a limp-mass membrane to increase absorption at all low frequencies.

--Ethan
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzoing
Sorry if this is off topic, but I'd like to know if you have some distributor in France/Europe? Thx.
Not as of yet and the shipping cost is out of this world!!! You may want to contact Real Traps to see what kind of price he may be able to get you... I would be more then happy to work up a shipping price for you, but don't yell at me when you get it.. heh

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search