The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One more diy acoustic panels thread...
Old 11th August 2010
Lives for gear

One more diy acoustic panels thread...

I finally got around to it... I´m making half a dozen broadband absorbers.
Here´s how:
First its the frame,

Thats what holds it together (+ glue on the ends of the wood)

Place it on the floor

placed white fabric over the frame (thats gonna be the back of the panel)

then the put the pressed rockwool (75mm thickness) over and press it in, then cut the fabric,

then lay out the fabric for the front of the panel, turn the panel over and place it on there,

then some stapling,

then more stapling, followed by some more cutting of the fabric,
Old 11th August 2010
Lives for gear

then its finished (front view)

back view,

then screw in the chain to hang it up,

up it went,

thats it... only five more to go!

Enjoy!
Old 11th August 2010
Gear Guru

good job!
Old 11th August 2010
Gear interested

1st off - looks great.

but my question is.. how important is the wood frame around the rockwool???

I'm going to start making my own pannels and I don't understand the need for a wood frame around the absorbtion material... is it just to secure the fabric and make it easier to hang?
Old 11th August 2010
Gear interested

Also..

does it HAVE to be Owens Corning?

I called about some Knauf fiberglass panels which I was told have the exact same specs as OC...

would this work?
Old 11th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joex View Post
1st off - looks great.

I'm going to start making my own pannels and I don't understand the need for a wood frame around the absorbtion material... is it just to secure the fabric and make it easier to hang?
I´m no expert but yes I believe its to make it easier to hang and to attach the fabric. Many will drill out with a circle saw alot of the wood frame sides to expose more of the wool material.
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Great work!
Im building mine very similar, only that i have the wood frame outside. i just think it looks a lot sweeter that way!

The wood frame does help to stabilize the whole absorber. If you only have 1 panel it should work without (i have a few like that), but the corners and sides will start to round a little, there wont be any sharp edges... just not as nice i believe!

Today im building my 2 panels for the ceiling. im also hanging them with the little chain, like you
Old 12th August 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselmo View Post
I´m no expert but yes I believe its to make it easier to hang and to attach the fabric. Many will drill out with a circle saw alot of the wood frame sides to expose more of the wool material.
Spot on. You can wrap 705 but it is hard to mount and IMO does not look half as nice as using a frame. Plus it will last for many years.
Old 12th August 2010
RLD
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joex View Post
1st off - looks great.

Personally, I would not (and did not) make frames that massive.
Fine if you want to, but its not necessary.

The type of frame I built http://www.basstraps.net/DIY-BASS-TRAPS-MADE-EASY.pdf leaves the sides exposed for absorption and ends up being quite rigid while weighing much less.
It's true that the edges of the "big" frame are a bit crisper, but not enough to matter, IMO.
You don't really need the corner brackets. Used 1x2x8 furring strips $.77 each.
And I used Knauf 3lbs per cubic foot, which is the same as 703.
Couldn't post all the pics as some are already here...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...g-my-room.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-...-products.html
Attached Thumbnails
One more diy acoustic panels thread...-p1010072.jpg   One more diy acoustic panels thread...-p1010075.jpg   One more diy acoustic panels thread...-p1010076.jpg   One more diy acoustic panels thread...-p1010077.jpg   One more diy acoustic panels thread...-p1010078.jpg  

One more diy acoustic panels thread...-p1010080.jpg   One more diy acoustic panels thread...-p1010086.jpg  
Old 25th November 2011
Gear Head

My brand new acoustic panels - Similar to these.

I'd like to thank everyone on Gearslutz for getting me motivated enough to build my own acoustic panels. There is SO much amazing information out there these days on acoustic panels! I love it and can't believe it took me 8 years to build these.

GO BUILD SOME PANELS! Your rooms deserve it

I wrote up detailed plans on building your own acoustic panels in a blog post. It's got prices, parts, and tons of photos to help you along the way. I also consolidated lots of useful links to places on the web with others talking about their process!

Most of my process was gathered online from posts like these. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to post these plans, so instead I thought I'd share my process as well! I used Knauff 3lb. density like RLD did above me.

If you are building panels I highly recommend reading through this post. The panels I built work well for panels, baffles AND a portable vocal booth!

The Audio Aficionado

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search