The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Are acoustic panels stackable?
Old 26th June 2010
Gear Guru
QT

AB you are welcome. That ceiling should be doing a superb job at broadband trapping. Because of the thickness and the distance from the boundary above, it should be functioning way down into the LF region.
DD
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

Dont usually like to revive old threads but...

So I'm in a similar situation where I have 3" traps (2x1.5" panels stacked) wrapped and leaning against my corners.. I had some extra 705 lying around so I cut a couple slivers to just stick behind the traps...I kinda just dropped em in down there. There's now a total of 3" stacked and 3" of 705 just kinda floating behind them...with significant air gaps between.

Would it be better, than, to actually glue em to the 3" panels? My traps would then be about 6" thick with only a slight airgap behind each one.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Dont usually like to revive old threads but...

So I'm in a similar situation where I have 3" traps (2x1.5" panels stacked) wrapped and leaning against my corners.. I had some extra 705 lying around so I cut a couple slivers to just stick behind the traps...I kinda just dropped em in down there. There's now a total of 3" stacked and 3" of 705 just kinda floating behind them...with significant air gaps between.

Would it be better, than, to actually glue em to the 3" panels? My traps would then be about 6" thick with only a slight airgap behind each one.
What are the panels made of? Without that knowledge, the 705 is doing something between barely noticeable to a degradation of the low end absorption.

Andre
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
What are the panels made of? Without that knowledge, the 705 is doing something between barely noticeable to a degradation of the low end absorption.

Andre
Sorry those are 705's too..stacked.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry those are 705's too..stacked.
Then the additional 705 will do nothing to slightly deteriorating the low end absorption.

Andre
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then the additional 705 will do nothing to slightly deteriorating the low end absorption.

Andre
Yeah Ive been doing more research...Im gonna stack em all together and make em 6" thick.

Thanks.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah Ive been doing more research...Im gonna stack em all together and make em 6" thick.
If you can make the porus thinner, go with 4".

Good luck.

Andre
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you can make the porus thinner, go with 4".
Sorry late reply....but not sure if I understand what u mean by "make the porous thinner".

I just weighed my panels at 5 lb/cu ft. Is that a good density for bass trapping?

Sorry if its a noob question
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

Woah guys! Where was i 10 years ago? anyway.. how about you just use 3 panels stacked together.. but INVERTED (Face to face and back to back) . The result would be a pad facing out the correct way but 3x thicker! YES? NO? or just TOO LATE? lol

Last edited by JSYN_MUSIC; 14th July 2019 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: unsure

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search