The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Working out flow resistance of sheep wool
Old 7th June 2010
Gear interested

Working out flow resistance of sheep wool

Hi,

I've been trolling the net to find out the flow resistance of sheep's wool. I haven't found any data at all and have contacted the local university's textile lab to see if they will run some tests for me but the seem to be a bit hesitant to help as the wool is not standard fabric (thickness wise). They also claim that their air permeability machine is not calibrated and only good for comparative tests. Will the test results work if the wool is compressed down to be thinner and fit in their machine (under 5mm) or is there simply a way of calculating it's air resistivity without having to resort to using their lab.
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry, but I have had little success getting data on wool also. I have contacted companies with email and have received nothing.

If you compress the wool, you are closing the airspaces through which the gas flows.

Please keep us updated on your success!

Andre
Old 7th June 2010
Gear Guru
Sheep

I contacted sheepswoolinsulation.ie
Helpful gent there told me a few things.
The wool is shipped to Austria where it is converted by Isolierung, Naturdämmstoff, Schafwolldämmung, Schalldämmung, Schallschutz, Isolena.at
I don't understand the language there but if someone does, maybe they have decent specs?
FYI, according to the guy on the phone, the lighter cheaper rolls are about 15KG /m^3
The Premium one is about 25KG.
There is an interesting carpet underlay with vapour membrane.
Might be a useful damped membrane material to front SuperChunks etc.
I intend contacting Thermafleece next. I hope to convince someone of the huge market for acoustically optimised versions.

DD
Old 8th June 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
If you compress the wool, you are closing the airspaces through which the gas flows.
Do you happen to know the correct procedure for testing materials then, i came across a website that had an air permeability tester to find out the flow resistance of materials so i assumed that was how it is done. Obviously this will not work if you subject material is thicker than 5 mm.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymaster2000 View Post
Do you happen to know the correct procedure for testing materials then, i came across a website that had an air permeability tester to find out the flow resistance of materials so i assumed that was how it is done. Obviously this will not work if you subject material is thicker than 5 mm.
It is measured with a gas flow and pressure meter. Probably exactly what you have access to already. Just do not compress the material. What you are seeking is the:

pressure across the test material; and
amount of air flowing through the material.

Andre
Old 17th June 2010
Gear interested

Just contacted another lab about testing and they cannot test for mks rayls, any idea on what type of company might perform this sort of testing. I am running out of options
Old 30th June 2010
Here for the gear

Hi, I just want to give you this information.

A few months ago I made some Basstraps with sheepwool. I posted my baskets.

I used new wool - but in the meantime I discovered a Belgium firm who recycle all sorts of fibres. (jute,wool,flax,cotton,hemp,sisal,rayon) - the even make mixes according your specifications

Procotex

This is maybe interesting because off the health risks there are with Rockwool & Glasswool.

It is maybe interesting to test the different fibres - if they perform as good as the rock&glasswool I think we found ourself a nice alternative.

best regards

Kris
Old 30th June 2010
SAC

What is the reasoning for needing to determine an objective gas flow resistance for sheep's wool???

And you propose doing that which a commercial firm who makes a profit on its sale will not?

You are trying to determine this simply to USE it?

It is MUCH easier to simply make a panel and to measure the practical change - which is the practical response desired. If you simply cut to the chase, you would have been done long ago.

And I'm sorry, but the ever emotional claim that "This is maybe interesting because off the health risks there are with Rockwool & Glasswool." is simply without legs. But quite a few people are allergic to lanolin.
Old 30th June 2010
Gear Guru
Intuition

It does seem intuitively obvious that Sheepswool, Hemp, Cotton, would be much safer than FibreGlass and Rockwool.
Repeatedly we find intuition to be simply wrong in Acoustic matters.

One kind GearSlut went to a considerable deal of trouble to investigate this.
The overall conclusion is pretty much the opposite.

e.g. Roxul seems to be the safest. Cotton can be quite scary.

The Comparative Safety of Rockwool, Fiberglass, and Organic Fibers (a review)

DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search