The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ethan the acoustic magician!
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

Ethan the acoustic magician!

Hey Ethan, I am building a new control room at the moment and came across your website thumbsup I've just used your calculator for finding the node freq. with the dimensions that I provided. I'm seeing the freq.'s that I will probably have trouble with but can you elaborate how I go about placing and fixing this with your real traps? My dimensions are Length: 24' Width: 16' Height: 8'.
Thanks for your time.
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

I'm not Ethan, but you may get some great advice over at:

http://forum.studiotips.com/index.php

and

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/in...a8d07ggggggggg

I just finished a complete acoustic renovation of my control room and both these forums were really helpful to me. Lots of very knowledgable folks there....

BTW, I own 8 of Ethan's Real Traps, and while they are a very effective product, there are other DIY approaches to bass trapping that can be just as effective but far more economical. Nothing against Real Traps, but do some serious research before you go throwing money at the problem.

-Z-
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

I'm not Ethan either
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years
I'm not Ethan either
No ****e!
Old 10th November 2005
Gear Guru

I am sure Ethan will chime in for you, but basically every room needs bass traps. I would tend to think a room like yours is going to need between 8 to 10. You want to focus on all corners and don't forget that a ceiling to wall or floor to wall is a corner also. Zakco is right you can build bass traps also, if you don't care what they look like and know what you are doing. Heck you can also build monitors and preamps if your good at that kind of stuff. If building make sure you use 4" rigid fiberglass for them..

Ok Ethan take it from there..

Glenn
Old 11th November 2005
Gear Nut

Well if you're building the entire control room yourself, why not build some bass traps? You could save a few grand for gear purchase.
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex
No ****e!

Old 11th November 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
No ****e!
I didn't know they used that kind of accent in Charlotte...we dropped the E here in Columbia...

War
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

For bass control, this design is cheap, easy and really effective:

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=535
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Here is what they look like in my tracking room. In the right corner of the pictures.

http://members.shaw.ca/woodshoprecor...ges/bkopen.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/woodshoprecor...ges/bkhalf.jpg
Old 11th November 2005
Gear Addict

Ethan is the man and his acoustic forum is the shiznit!

http://www.musicplayer.com/
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
I didn't know they used that kind of accent in Charlotte...we dropped the E here in Columbia...

War
Yes Warren, I just don't feel the need to say "****" on a public forum out of respect.

Quote:
Here is what they look like in my tracking room. In the right corner of the pictures.

http://members.shaw.ca/woodshopreco...ages/bkopen.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/woodshopreco...ages/bkhalf.jpg
Very nice

Mainly my question is this: is there any science to placing the bass traps besides just putting them in the corners of the room? I have no problem building the traps, I actually am building a few gobo's this weekend out of 3 pallets of that NASA memory foam & Ownes Foamular that I acquired.
Thanks for you guy's help.
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
My dimensions are Length: 24' Width: 16' Height: 8'.
Thanks for your time.
Not to be 'Mr. Negative' or anything, but (if you're constructing a room, as opposed to outfitting) you may want to reconsider your dimensions. Exact multiples of 8 are going to reinforce the nodes in your room (3x, 2x, 1x)...

Just a thought. Good Luck!
Old 11th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey man spend a little time on Ethan's site do a little reading and go from there. Only you know what you wanna do.... so read the man's site and some links he has there and you will be well informed about the whats wheres and whens of the situation....that is what I did and it has made a big difference in my room. Ethan and his site is very gracious. Good luck
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

I'm Ethan and so's my wife........

ah ok we did the funny stuff already..

*fetches coat*
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi
Not to be 'Mr. Negative' or anything, but (if you're constructing a room, as opposed to outfitting) you may want to reconsider your dimensions. Exact multiples of 8 are going to reinforce the nodes in your room (3x, 2x, 1x)...

Just a thought. Good Luck!
Actually the room has been framed before I got the place. We are just putting the insulation and drywall up. I had played with Ethan's Modecalculator and did see the 1:2:3 ratio problem. We have angled the ceiling to try and help a bit and have a false ceiling as well as a tile ceiling and hard floors. I'm getting the place rent free as long as I do a couple projects every year for the guy so I can't really complain. it's more temporary anyway so I'm not wanting to put a whole lot of money in this. All the drywall and other basic material have already been purchased by the owner of the building, I'm just trying to get a plan of attack before we put it all up. Hope this clears things up for you.
Thanks.
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
All the drywall and other basic material have already been purchased by the owner of the building, I'm just trying to get a plan of attack before we put it all up.
Good Idea. I would suggest doing some research on proper room ratios. There is a ton of info available on the various sites around. I still strongly recommend (slightly) altering your dimensions. You could also easily build some trapping into the frameout, and for very little additional expense.

Like Ethan says, ALL rooms need bass trapping, but you can also save yourself some potential nightmares by dealing with these design/construction issues BEFORE the room is built.

Again, Good Luck!
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mainly my question is this: is there any science to placing the bass traps besides just putting them in the corners of the room? I have no problem building the traps, I actually am building a few gobo's this weekend out of 3 pallets of that NASA memory foam & Ownes Foamular that I acquired.
Thanks for you guy's help.
there's plenty of science behind the corner traps....do some reading on the Studiotips or ethan's site and you find plenty of info on why bass tends to build up in the corners and why corner traps are WAY more effective (in the low end) than the same materials placed on a wall or ceiling.

-Z-
Old 11th November 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Clayton,

> can you elaborate how I go about placing and fixing this with your real traps? <

Pretty much everything you need to know is on the Placing MiniTraps page of our site:

www.realtraps.com/placing_mt.htm

> My dimensions are Length: 24' Width: 16' Height: 8' <

As others explained this is not a good ratio. But on the plus side it's a large enough room to get good results given enough bass trapping. Your biggest problem will be ringing at those frequencies that correspond to the 8 foot common dimension.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have other specific questions.

--Ethan
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer

As others explained this is not a good ratio. But on the plus side it's a large enough room to get good results given enough bass trapping. Your biggest problem will be ringing at those frequencies that correspond to the 8 foot common dimension.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have other specific questions.

--Ethan
So are you saying that I should not place my listening position at 8'? More like at about 10'? Damn that will be hard since the width is 16 ft. leaving me dead in the middle at 8'.
Anyway thanks a lot for your guys feedback, i'll dive a little bit more deap into your site.
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Hey, I am Ethan too...
Old 11th November 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Clayton,

> So are you saying that I should not place my listening position at 8'? <

That's a different issue from the room's natural resonant frequencies. But since you asked... heh

See the article How to Set up a Room on our site that explains the best way to establish the listening position in a rectanglular room:

www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

--Ethan
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Kick ass, you rock Ethan!
Old 22nd November 2005
Lives for gear

I have one more question to ask. I'm building some acoustic panels this week from 703 fiberglass and read that you should use wool or burlap to cover it. Would it be bad if I used a low count cotton fabric? Finding colored wool is a bit expensive.
Thanks.
Old 22nd November 2005
Gear Guru

If you are building a panel that you want to dampen high end also then you do want it to be opened celled. If you can blow through the fabric easily then it should be fine.
Old 22nd November 2005
Here for the gear

I've been reading as much as possible about DIY Bass Traps. I've ordered 705 FSK from Tri City in Jersey. I live in Florida and I am in charge of the shipping arrangements. $100.00 for a 6 piece 2x4x2 inch bundle and $22.00 shipping. The 703 was $57.00. I tried everywhere down here with no luck. In case someone has a similar problem, here's the phone number. 908-925-2323. brian was helpful.

Here's the build process I put together in my simple lil mind.

I plan to use metal studs to construct the 2x4 frame. Place 2 pieces of 705 in the frame (so far so good) with the FSK facing out to the room for the front piece. The second piece naturally goes behind the first piece but I remove the FSK foil. Cover to taste with a material you can breath thru.

I dont use any plywood on the front or back face?

Sometimes reading to much can melt the mind and make things more confusing for me. but this is my take of it.

Thanks
Old 23rd November 2005
Lives for gear

What do you guys think of these: http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/pr...3ddffeb2094864. I have problem exactly at the frequency they showing as peak absorb.
Old 23rd November 2005
Lives for gear

I'll let others comment on me

As for the material - it works very well. It's also available in bulk at a greatly reduced price.

Bryan
Old 23rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for your responce, how heavy is one panel? I'm thinking to hang it on the ceiling in the corners so I was wondering...
Old 23rd November 2005
Lives for gear

About 4 lbs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search