The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ethan the acoustic magician!
Old 23rd November 2005
Gear Addict

I should probably start a new thread, but while we're at it:

I'm moving into a 12'x12' contol room. Am I screwed?
Old 23rd November 2005

Pretty much, yes.

Any chances the ceiling is also at 12ft?
Old 23rd November 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjerome
I should probably start a new thread, but while we're at it:

I'm moving into a 12'x12' contol room. Am I screwed?

That is going to be a really tough room to do, but with enough bass trapping you may just be able to do it.. Focus on all corners, wall to wall, ceiling to wall and floor to wall... You can look at the following link to see how much more effective placing panels in corners compared to just placing on walls.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/absorption.htm

Glenn
Old 23rd November 2005
Gear Addict

12'x12'x8' I meant to say. Thanks!
Old 23rd November 2005
Gear Maniac

I've been looking into a d.i.y. solution as well, and I have a question.

Do the fiberglass boards need to be framed? What I mean is, can you just cover them with your fabric of choice, staple them closed, and then hang them on the wall/corners/ceiling via metal wire or something? Or will the fiberglass bend too much or whatnot?

Also, from what I've read, it seems like they don't need to be rigidly secured to restrict their movement, such as swaying back and forth if hung on a wall by the top two corners?

I'm looking for the poor man's solution to getting the most treatment into my room (tiny 3rd bedroom/office in my apartment). Thanks.
Old 24th November 2005
Gear Guru

<Do the fiberglass boards need to be framed? What I mean is, can you just cover them with your fabric of choice, staple them closed, and then hang them on the wall/corners/ceiling via metal wire or something? Or will the fiberglass bend too much or whatnot?.>

Not not at all.. Putting side frames on them is blocking sound, so just rap and go, sir

<Also, from what I've read, it seems like they don't need to be rigidly secured to restrict their movement, such as swaying back and forth if hung on a wall by the top two corners?>

Your right you can hang them from the ceiling down to space off the wall.. Looks really cool too

<I'm looking for the poor man's solution to getting the most treatment into my room (tiny 3rd bedroom/office in my apartment). Thanks >

Go buy some fluffy fiberglass rolls and just stack them in the corners of your room. Hell you don't even need to take them out of the plastic if you don't want too.

Hope that helps....
Old 24th November 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie
That is going to be a really tough room to do, but with enough bass trapping you may just be able to do it.. Focus on all corners, wall to wall, ceiling to wall and floor to wall... [/url]

Glenn
Hmmm... well IMHO it will never be good, no matter how much "acoustic products" you put in the corners and on the walls etc... And price wise it's just going to be too high with regards to the probable not-so-good results. Room shaping is also no option - the room is too small. Room shaping is the n°1 step and the most efficient treatment to start with. It's also fairly easy to DIY. Then comes the rest - treating what is left to treat.

Any chances you could get into a bigger space in the near future? If yes, save your money for now, find a new room, and then do something serious where your money will be well spent!

Think on the long term...

Cheers and good luck
Old 24th November 2005
Gear Guru

on one hand I do agree with you, but anything is possible.. Good point about changing the room size that would help..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search