The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are Superchunks Better Than Panels Straddled on a Corner?
Old 9th April 2010
Gear maniac

Are Superchunks Better Than Panels Straddled on a Corner?

I am curious if superchunks floor to ceiling absorb better in low-end than say a 6 inch thick panel straddled across the corner floor to ceiling? Does the air gap behind the panel provide the same bass absorption as filling up the corner with a superchunk?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 9th April 2010
Gear nut

I am no expert....yet. But I was curious about this myself so when I was putting together a room I did my own testing to see what worked better. I will post results to show everyone. Long story short I could only use three corners for the test (sucks I know) but I could get enough to see the results. I found that what worked best in my room was a 6 inch panel (rock wool 3.5# and only because I started with that and not because I tested out a 4 inch) FRK facing the inside of the room and a superchunk behind it. My way wasn't as conventional though. I have a guy who can get me foam so I had him cut it into the shape of the corner to fit right behind my panels. It was 2 # density. I went from ground to ceiling in the front with a 24" width and the back right was a 32" width (because I could). I reduced the decay time A lot more and evened out the peaks overall.

The panel itself worked well too but it just worked better with the superchunk foam behind it.

hope that helps.
Old 9th April 2010
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanddu View Post
I am curious if superchunks floor to ceiling absorb better in low-end than say a 6 inch thick panel straddled across the corner floor to ceiling? Does the air gap behind the panel provide the same bass absorption as filling up the corner with a superchunk?

Thanks,
Josh
It really depends what frequencies you are trying to hit. A 6" panel straddling the corner will have a peak at around 80hz of absorption (a good thing) but will start to fall off at around 70hz or so. Filling the corner absorbs quite well all the way to 50hz and still is doing well down to 40hz. If you want the "best" results then I would use both. Part of the reason we have our Monster Trap and the Tri Trap.
Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

One interesting note:

I've noticed that whenever this discussion comes up, it's discussed in terms of equal distance... like whether it's better to have space filled in or not...

but it's not quite that way, and here's why:

Take a typical example of 2 foot by 4 foot panels that are 4" thick... I will also assume an 8 foot ceiling for this example:

If I stack two panels on top of eachother, they are 8 feet tall, and 2 feet across. Straddle the corner, and you have a floor to ceiling bass trap that uses two panels worth of material.

Cut three of those same panels, and you have 24 triangles... each with a 2 foot hypotenuse... stack them in the same corner, and you also have an 8 foot tall trap with a 2 foot wide face...

BUT...

There is another difference between those two traps besides the 50% more material in the superchunk... the straddling trap has a 4" greater distance from the corner.

Why? Because the BACK face of the straddling trap is also 2 feet, so it is the back face that touches the walls, then the rest of the trap sticks out 4" from there.

Just a thought... any calculations of triangular stacked superchunk vs corer straddling trap should probably take that into account...
Old 15th October 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
A 6" panel straddling the corner will have a peak at around 80hz of absorption (a good thing) but will start to fall off at around 70hz or so. Filling the corner absorbs quite well all the way to 50hz and still is doing well down to 40hz. If you want the "best" results then I would use both
So doing both could work best to target a wider range of freqs under 100hz? the nested setup?

so for example 300mm wide super chunks, behind a 600mm wide panel, of which the thicker it is the better.
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Addict

Having an airgap behind a dense absorption panel has *some* of the same effect as filling that airspace with actual material. But the best effect is always to fill with material.
Old 15th October 2010
Gear nut

I am interpreting Glenns statement to mean that the both are useful, as they each have peak absorbtion at different freqs. But does this mean in a nested arrangement like i describe above, or does it mean different styles in different corners.
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen Ochren View Post
So doing both could work best to target a wider range of freqs under 100hz? the nested setup?

so for example 300mm wide super chunks, behind a 600mm wide panel, of which the thicker it is the better.
I was speaking about having both spread out in the room. Not one inside of the other. I do want to note that I am gathering this info off of our testing of our products, which can be done close DIY, BUT YMMV. There are many factors that make a product work the way they do.
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Guru
Perennial

This one crops up regularly for several reasons.
Primarily there is no comparative testing available at VLF.
Also, that studiotips test is quite confusing.
In that test a Straddle 24 inches wide is graphically compared against a couple of 34 inch wide devices. If you visually extrapolate, guesstimate, or whatever is the right term here, the little straddler actually performs as well, perhaps even better than the big boys. Given the vast amount of material in the big ones, it is certainly much better bang per buck.
However, as Glenn has said, SSC's go way down.
Here's a real result, real room.
For kicks, maybe someone would like to calculate the absorption coefficient?
Room is 4.4 x 3.4 x 2.45 Metres. Area of SSC 6.12 M^2
Decay of mode dropped from 1.3 to 0.6 Seconds.

DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search