The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Density for big triangular corner traps Studio Monitors
Old 8th June 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
As Ethan W. said in a post a long time ago, superchunks are slightly better than panels of the same size, if cost is no issue. But they are much much more expensive for not that much extra gain. So it's better to put more panels in corners than less chunks in corners.
Your cost point is unclear, at best. Superchunks with "normal" insulation are cheaper than panels of 703.

Andre
Old 10th June 2011
  #32
Lives for gear
 
ritelec's Avatar
 

Nice thread thank you.

I'm having a certain null or two with LF's in my room. I've been relocating speaker and measuring and ...........well, lets just say I'm not very pleased......I will continue.

But I was thinking, velocity vs. dense. I'm think I will attempt to try and capture the 1/4 wave length of the nulls with fluff around my speaker boundaries.

Then I was thinking maybe dense..... It would be easier and cheaper to stick my wife in the corner by the speaker. She's pretty dense. I'll give that a shot.


-rich
Old 17th June 2011
  #33
A9X
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Superchunks with "normal" insulation are cheaper than panels of 703.

Andre
Just asking for clarification: by normal, do you mean the fairly low density (~16kg/m3) ceiling insulation batts? I hope so as that is cheap as dirt here at the moment. Anticipating something like 45x45x60cm in a frame and fabric to hold it.

Cheers
Old 17th June 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X View Post
Just asking for clarification: by normal, do you mean the fairly low density (~16kg/m3) ceiling insulation batts? I hope so as that is cheap as dirt here at the moment. Anticipating something like 45x45x60cm in a frame and fabric to hold it.
Yes.

Andre
Old 17th June 2011
  #35
A9X
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Yes.

Andre
Thank you Andre.
It seems to me then, that it might be worth making a small production line of frames to do the corner units as well as those at the ceiling wall interface instead of rigid board units as that is very expensive here. I could also borrow an asbestos handing suit from work when I made them to reduce itch potential.
Old 10th November 2011
  #36
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X View Post
Thank you Andre.
It seems to me then, that it might be worth making a small production line of frames to do the corner units as well as those at the ceiling wall interface instead of rigid board units as that is very expensive here. I could also borrow an asbestos handing suit from work when I made them to reduce itch potential.
Guys am I right in saying that the lower density material, say 20-30kg/m3 is better for superchunk bass traps that are effective on sub 100hz then say 30-64kg/m3?

I have 2 products here, one is roughly 21kg/m3 and one that is 48kg/m3. I need to make super chunk style traps and broadband panels for the sides

i need to work out which material is best for which job

Thank you
Old 10th November 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Melgueil's Avatar
 

Interesting thread. I built 4 of these ...I hated the building phase, very itchy. I did not go the elaborate route as you did - OP you did a fantastic job. I may be inspired to redo it, but I need to think that over. I cut all of the triangles myself - a word to the wise - wear protective clothing !
Cdlt
Old 10th November 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastrix View Post
Guys am I right in saying that the lower density material, say 20-30kg/m3 is better for superchunk bass traps that are effective on sub 100hz then say 30-64kg/m3?

I have 2 products here, one is roughly 21kg/m3 and one that is 48kg/m3. I need to make super chunk style traps and broadband panels for the sides

i need to work out which material is best for which job
The significant factor is the absorber depth. For Superchunks, the lighter material is better. How deep are the broadband panels? For up to 10 cm deep use the 48 kg/m³. Depper than that, 10 cm of the 48 kg/m³ material with a gap behind for the rest of the depth.

Andre
Old 10th November 2011
  #39
Gear Head
 

Hi Andre, these will have a 200mm air gap behind , the super chunk will actually be a rectangle upright column, with triangle pieces of insulation inside, leaving the other half of the triangle air gapped...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp column.bmp (599.1 KB, 196 views)
Old 10th November 2011
  #40
Gear Head
 

This is what i was going to do, using 48kg/m3

400x400x2300mm, rectangle columns. Would I get away with the triangle squares of insulation or would it work best solid filling the entire column?

Old 11th November 2011
  #41
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastrix View Post
This is what i was going to do, using 48kg/m3

400x400x2300mm, rectangle columns. Would I get away with the triangle squares of insulation or would it work best solid filling the entire column?

Use the 48 kg/m³ material 100 mm thick and leave the rest open.

Andre
Old 13th November 2011
  #42
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Use the 48 kg/m³ material 100 mm thick and leave the rest open.

Andre
Thanks Andre, ill give that a go
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
role_65 / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
3
kraskland / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
5
embrionic / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
5
andrewm2002 / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
3
aclarson / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
29

Forum Jump
Forum Jump