The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Corner trap width Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Nut

Corner trap width

Hi all,

I'm using up my extra rook wool and have to decide on some treatment for the corners in the front of my room. Room is 8'3" wide x 13' 6" long and 8' tall.

I have some leftover 15" x 4' rock wool or I could buy some 23" x 4' pieces.

Which dimension for the corner would serve me best:

A) 15" wide 6" deep rockwool floor to ceiling panel (in 2"x6"wooden frame that I already have- not sure if this large frame will be bad for reflections)

or

B) 23" wide 6" deep panel only 4' tall mounted in the center of the wall (possibly frameless)

I'm planning on finishing the front wall of my studio this weekend.

Here is the finished back wall if you'd like a look.

Cheers,

Aaron
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Guru

the 23" panel is going to reach a lower frequency but the 15" panel floor to ceiling may give you a general over all more absorption (say above around 125HZ). It depends what problem you are trying to solve. The rule of thumb is the more area covered in the cover is always better...
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

Hello, I'm new here, and I'm interested in the same. I'm afraid that my SUPERCHUNK traps will only be 12 inches in front, due to the fact that I have a 9' wall and a 6.75' couch. The floor to ceiling is 7-feet.

It is interesting to me about the frequencies that may be affected by the width. I am simply hoping that this width of trap will be effective or if I should go to plan B, and build bass traps with ported sides as I'm building for the opposite walls.

I hope you don't think I'm hijacking your thread, but I think we're on the same quest!!!

Old 28th March 2010
Gear Nut

Hi spindlebox,

I ended up making the floor to ceiling 15" wide 7.5 foot tall traps (6" deep).

I figure I can always mount an additional 2'x4' trap (in front of the other trap) at listening height if I need to.

I would probably be able to set the edges right on top of my desk.

You might be able to add an addition trap over your 12" corners....something that just hangs slightly over the arms of the couch maybe?

I'll post pictures when I get my room fully set up - it should be done by next week at the latest.

Here's my back wall if you'd like to see.

Cheers,

Aaron

More pics here.

Last edited by Aaron W; 31st March 2010 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: Added pictures link

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search