The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quick review of what I have read RockBoard 40 60..
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quick review of what I have read RockBoard 40 60..

Ok so I have been reading quite a bit about the DIY bass traps on here using Rockboard 40-60. Tell me if I'm correct as to my plans for hanging and corner bass traps.

-I'm buying Rockboard 60 4" half with the cover/foil on one side so I can point this out facing the room. The back side will be bare.

-I'm going to put chicken wire with small cables attached in between two pieces of 60 and glue it together, then cover with cloth. cables are for hanging.

-I'll have these hung in certain places in the room about 4-7 inches from the wall.

-Corner traps will be 1/2" playwood with rockboard 60 on the inside, stuffed with Roxol Safe N Sound in the cavity.

How is my plan? Am I missing anything?

Please advise

thanks
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

For hanging absorbers of 8" (2 4" attached to each other) depth Rockboard 40 is better than 80.

For the corner absorbers there is no acoustica advantage to the Rockbaord inside. Just use the Safe n Sound.

Have fun!

Andre
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Guru
Whoa!

Foil facing into the room is a little controversial. I personally don't like it. However it does increase the LF absorption, particularly in corner straddling panels. It would be totally wrong in the case of RFZ and Cloud panels. These should have the foil facing the airgap/ wall.
Corner traps with 1/4 inch plywood? That seems quite extreme, and very unusual. Have you seen such Traps anywhere?
DD
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Addict

So is an 8 inch trap better then a 4inch, If I'm using Rockboard 40?

Well I saw a picture on here where someone made a corner trap out of plywood, or so I thought. I mean if you're going to build the traps into the wall construction that would make sense no?
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Guru
Yes and No

Thicker absorbent devices work better with lower density fibre.
Let me just reiterate, you don't see many plywood corner traps, although they may have a purpose. Being sealed they will obviously not admit much airflow, or any. They are very specific things for very specific purposes. Unless you are entirely sure they are what you need, I recommend that you go broadband and be safe. All you need to know is here
studiotips - tips on studio design, acoustics, and wiring
DD
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicondonn View Post
So is an 8 inch trap better then a 4inch, If I'm using Rockboard 40?
At 4" full fill Rockboard 40 is better also.

Andre
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

Right thanks, so the Safe N Sound should be jammed/ packed really tight for the corner traps?

Maybe I should just take 2 bundles of the SNS ,leave it in the bags and just roll the 2 up in a carpet and and tack in the corner? What about that?
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Guru
SNS

If you pack insulation really tightly you increase the density.
I have used rolls as you described, in their wrapping, in corners. Works just fine.
DD
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicondonn View Post
Right thanks, so the Safe N Sound should be jammed/ packed really tight for the corner traps?

Maybe I should just take 2 bundles of the SNS ,leave it in the bags and just roll the 2 up in a carpet and and tack in the corner? What about that?
Yous are vague in what you want. If you are wanting low frequency absorption, you need physical space. The easiest is to fill the space with Safe n Sound. How much space? 12" plus will give you flat absorption down to 50 Hz.

Andre
Old 26th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Yous are vague in what you want. If you are wanting low frequency absorption, you need physical space. The easiest is to fill the space with Safe n Sound. How much space? 12" plus will give you flat absorption down to 50 Hz.

Andre
6 inches to 100hz?
📝 Reply