The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ikea bookshelves - empty spaces used as bass traps?
Old 8th March 2010
Lives for gear

ikea bookshelves - empty spaces used as bass traps?

^^^^
Old 8th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
would it make sense to do something like this and fill any unused shelves with fiberglass/bass trap material?
Let me say this as plain as possible

YES

hehhehheh
Old 8th March 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 9th March 2010
Gear Guru

You should be fine. thumbsup
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 9th March 2010
Gear Guru

Be sure to post pictures.
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 9th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
this would likely be going along a flat wall to the right of my setup, so i would still shoot for some conventional bass traps for the corners..but how deep should i look to go?
If it is going in the early reflection points then you want to stuff all of them. You don't what hole to let sound get to your ears.

Quote:
ill worry about exact materials and where to purchase once i have the bookshelves...but just thinking ahead. if they are 15" deep, should i go for 6" of OC703? or should i go thicker since i have the real estate? i could go 8" and still have 7" of air gap...is there a point of diminishing returns?
Deep as possible and 703 is fine.

For early reflection areas you don't need to go more then 2" but if you have the funds making it thicker is never a bad thing

Quote:
i would also assume it would be best to pick which spaces will be used as a bass trap to be a bit sparatic, and cover more of the overall bookshelf itself, versus having all of the bass trap spaces be in the same area (e.g. pick every other space to be used as a bass trap, vs using the lower 8 blocks clumped together as 1 bass trap)... or does that not really matter?
Once again the more area you cover the better.

I will caution you on one thing (I THINK) is using this in the early reflection points might not be a best. There seems to be a lot of wood which could cause reflections. I think the design you making would be best for the back wall and straddling corners. BUT you doing something new so it is hard to say.
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

^^^
Old 9th March 2010
Gear Guru

can you make the pictures smaller? It is a mess to try to read and see pictures.
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

^^^
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

bump
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

with a 12" thickness, you'd be fine just using the thick pink fluffy wall batts. Home depot should have a whole isle of this. Go unfaced if you want broadband, faced if you only want to tame the bass.

any breathable fabric will do for a covering
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

batt=roll

either of those would work, just make sure you buy unfaced...no paper layer.

you want to fill the squares snuggly, but don't "cram" it in there... compressing it too much will inhibit the gas flow.

for the back of the bookcase, where it faces the wall, pick up a canvas painter's drop cloth while you are at home depot. it's way cheap, and no one will ever see it. you may also want to grab some cheap trim to cover your staples on the front of the trap where you use your pretty fabric.
Old 11th May 2010
SAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 View Post
what is a "batt"?

R-13 Kraft 15 In. x 94 In. x 3.5 In. Rolled Batts,

R-30 Unfaced 15 In. 25 Ft. x 9.5 In. Continous Roll,

i plan on going to joann fabrics to purchase fabric for both sides of the bookshelf (on the portions of it i stuff with material) .. and ill make sure i can "breathe" through it so it doesn't reflect mids/highs.
A "batt" is the 'piece' that is, in this case, either 15" x94" x 3.5" or 15" x 25' x 9.5". Insulation is typically available in batts or rolls. The batt is simply a name for the functional piece of the insulation.

Just for the record...
As mentioned before, there seems to be a notion that absorbers only absorb...which is simply NOT the case.
And the addition of the covering simply exacerbates this fact.

The absorber will be most (efficiently) absorptive with an incidence of 90 degrees.

As the incidence angle becomes less than 90 degrees, the absorber (especially with the "acoustically transparent(sic) covering") becomes increasingly reflective to mid and high frequencies.

Thus the deviation between the ideal to the real.
One might consider using an ETC response to determine the degree of reflection that may cause interference!
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

rockwool is to roxul as facial tissue is to kleenex

2.5 pcf is good for that thickness

breatable fabric...correct.
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Hey,

I have one of those cupboards. I'd get rid of the horizontal shelves, they don't have any structural purpose and you would eliminate half of the potential borders. It would look better too IMO

Last edited by claend; 17th May 2010 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: spelling.. ;-)
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
Old 26th May 2016
Here for the gear

KALLAX (ikea) bass traps

Hiya

I know this is am old thread but i was wondering what the viability of my idea to use kallax shelves as bass traps is. Here are some in my daughters room (attached). As i love these shelves and want them across the entire studio wall i figured why not just pack loads of the insert squares (pictured red) with acoustic fibreglass to make moveable, customisable bass traps.

The inserts are 13"x13" face and 15" deep. I figured to use a hole cutter to port between the different shelves to allow bass into the trap... probably cutting a same size circle of fibreglass to go into these holes.

Ive included my room dimensions as well.

I've read so much about bass traps recently. these are those conclusions I've made and the concerns I have.

1. Sounds like having a panel on the front is not a good idea for a room as small as mine and that just thick absorption would be the best way to go. Broadband rather than tuned. Correct?

2. If I space the shelving unit 4 inches from the wall I should get better results

3. The 15 inches of depth should do me well however I am concerned about the small size of the 13 inch square on the front. Essentially if I have several of these 13 inch squares stacked on top of each other or side by side is that effectively the same as having a larger surface area?

I'm not suggesting these kallax shelf bass traps as an alternative necessarily to the commercial bass trap options rather since I intend to have them all across the wall anyway I figured it would be a great opportunity to save some money and space. And also not have to wrap my diy traps in fabric.

Thanks for reading your thoughts would be very much appreciated. By the way I am in the UK and a lot of the products mentioned, safe and sound etc they have different names here so I get a bit confused by those!
Attached Thumbnails
ikea bookshelves - empty spaces used as bass traps?-20160526_143600.jpg   ikea bookshelves - empty spaces used as bass traps?-20160526_143609.jpg   ikea bookshelves - empty spaces used as bass traps?-20160520_142600.jpg  
Old 27th May 2016
Gear Head
Sorry can't help with any of your specific questions but I have a spare Kallax unit that I was thinking of utilising in a similar way so I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search