The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic treatment products - Ethan, what do you think?
Old 21st October 2005
Gear Addict

Acoustic treatment products - Ethan, what do you think?

Hello guys!

I was surfing on Ebay (U.K.) and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7355537535

Very cheap! but there's no info on frequency absorbtion etc.

Too good to be true? Anyone there who has tried them? heard of them?

Oh, and check the sellers other items, there are some really cheap bass traps (corner) too.

"Market research shows that consumers prefer low prices" so they say
Old 22nd October 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Gomez,

> but there's no info on frequency absorbtion etc. <

Ay, there's the rub. If that stuff were any good the company would have taken it to a real acoustics lab and measured it.

> Anyone there who has tried them? <

Even this is no guarantee of quality. All the time I see people post that they bought foam from Foam by Mail (known fraud) and it works well and they're happy. But FMB foam absorbs only 1/3 what they claim, which tells me that those making the testimonials don't know good acoustic treatment from bad. Sure, they heard a difference, but they don't know enough to properly assess what they heard. Even a bunch of egg crates will seemingly change the sound of a room for the better if your only test is hand claps. heh

If low cost matters most to you, get some 4-inch thick mineral wool and make your own panels.

--Ethan
Old 23rd October 2005
Gear Guru

From there ad:
"Tim From www.timgmusic.co.uk of mtv fame used our foam in his new studio bunker7 www.bunker7.co.uk and gave us this feedback : the foams done a really good job at making the room dead. I've found its particularly good for vocals and brass as it seems to soak up loads of mid and high frequencies. and absorbs fairly low frequencies (at a guess i'd say down to about 4000hz) overall its ideal for use in a vocal isolation booth / instumental booth where you want no room reflections. I was amazed at how good a sax sounded when miced from the other side of the room when recorded! really soaked it all up!"

Ok first up you don't want the room to be dead and second I can tell you that when recording sax you need much more below 4000hz to really get a good sound.
I will say that the ad does put the part in it about guessing "(at a guess i'd say down to about 4000hz)" and I am sure thats what the guy did!
For your room you really need bass trapping. As Ethan said if you are short on money then build them.
Old 23rd October 2005
Gear Guru

> the foams done a really good job at ... <

Yep, clearly this is a guy who knows what he's talking about.
Old 25th October 2005
Gear Addict

Thank you very much Ethan, you are very helpful as usual.

All I have to say is that for that price, I might just buy a few and try them out myself.

I just moved to a new house where I got a bigger studio and the flutter is driving me mad. Given the dimensions of the room, Ethans' Real Traps would be PERFECT, but at the moment i'm far to be able to afford them.

Any ideas where can I look for information on building "effective" mineral wood absorbers?

Thanks a lot!

Gomez
Old 25th October 2005
krs
Lives for gear

Yo it's really easy, I'm not handy at all and mine are turning out really nice. (I'm on the 3rd trap right now).

1. Just go to Home Depot buy the lengths of 1"x6" you need, and some Roxul Safe n' Sound, or whatever.
2. Nail the frame together. If you are paranoid like me, you can also buy little corner braces and screw them in.
3. Slap a couple of slats (baseboard, whatever) across the back to provide some support/stability. Fill the frame with Roxul.
4. Go to Fabricland buy some nice acoustically transparent fabric.
5. Wrap and staple.

You're done. My cost on the units is about $30 a pop, plus my time. It was worth it for me not to spend for Ethan's room kit, because I have time to build.

Good luck!
Old 25th October 2005
Gear Guru

I think I might buy some of that foam too. Have been looking for a foam that I can wrap around our panels so they don't get damaged in shipping!!!! heh

I think you would be better off building panels.
Old 25th October 2005
Gear Addict

Super! thanks for the info.

I think I'll give it a go! I love DIY anyway, just need some free time.

What is "Roxul Safe n' Sound" I don't think I have heard of this product here in England. Is it perhaps what here is called "Rockwool"?

Ta!

Gomez
Old 25th October 2005
Gear Maniac

Here are some more detailed plans:

http://www.pmerecords.com/Broadband.cfm thumbsup
Old 25th October 2005
Gear Nut

this guy bought some of those ebay ones to test:

Summary - avoid them, unless you want some expensive cushions : )

************************************/sh...rue#Post184183

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search