The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What type of Rockwool to use for Bass Traps?
Old 4th March 2010
Deleted b026123
i got myself some rw45. to be honest, i was pretty disappointed by how floppy it was. nevertheless, it seems that it's definitely one of the better insulations to use for absorption.

i'm not allowed to get rigid fibreglass, as nobody else i'm working with trusts it.

anyone got any suggestions on what's the best thing to use to cut it for superchunks? i'm thinking a hand saw will do the trick.
Old 4th March 2010
Gear Guru
Disappointing

Yes, floppy can be very disappointing :-)

A serrated bread knife works very well. Try to get a big one :-) with equal serrations on both sides of the cutting edge.
The Comparative Safety of Rockwool, Fiberglass, and Organic Fibers (a review)

DD
Old 4th March 2010
Deleted b026123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Yes, floppy can be very disappointing :-)

DD
lol

i have another quick question (i don't want to hijack the thread).

my partner wants me to cover the bass traps in two layers of fabric (because they are sleeping in the room, they are paranoid about breathing rock wool fibres/itchy skin ect). if i cover them in 1 layer of muslin followed by one layer of felt (or something to that effect), is it going to make any negative differences to my sound absorption?
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukiw View Post
lol

i have another quick question (i don't want to hijack the thread).

my partner wants me to cover the bass traps in two layers of fabric (because they are sleeping in the room, they are paranoid about breathing rock wool fibres/itchy skin ect). if i cover them in 1 layer of muslin followed by one layer of felt (or something to that effect), is it going to make any negative differences to my sound absorption?
Depends on the thickness of the fabrics, but it could only make a negative difference to your mid/higher range absorption.
I regretted covering an older basstrap with 2 layers of thick fabric, I had the same fear, u gotta explain him it'll be fine for his health with 1 layer.
Old 4th March 2010
Deleted b026123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steab View Post
Depends on the thickness of the fabrics, but it could only make a negative difference to your mid/higher range absorption.
I regretted covering an older basstrap with 2 layers of thick fabric, I had the same fear, u gotta explain him it'll be fine for his health with 1 layer.
thanks. i'll suggest to him that we do 2 layers for the cornered super chunks, but we'll do all the wall/ceiling acoustic panels with just 1 layer.
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukiw View Post
i'll suggest to him that we do 2 layers for the cornered super chunks, but we'll do all the wall/ceiling acoustic panels with just 1 layer.
If I was going to worry I'd worry about the ceiling more than anywhere else.

Paul P
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

Use a single layer of cotton batting under your fabric. It's a very loose weave, and will provide no amount of acoustic anomolies, but it will be a course grade filter to prevent fibers from reaching the fabric. Not only that, but it will even out any uneveness of the insulation, and provide a much better looking trap.
Old 19th March 2010
Here for the gear

Hi, I have been reading this thread with great interest as I am about to make some 15" x 20" square corner bass traps using ikea shelving units.

I see 'pink fluffy' insulation is recommended for this type of use, but would i also be able to use 'rockwool roll' - i have been unable to find the density of this material so if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it

link to rockwool roll:

Rockwool Roll | Loft Insulation | SIG Sustainable Solutions | Building sustainable futures

would this be even more preferable to rwa45 in this size of bass trap?

regards,
James
Old 12th April 2010
Gear Guru
Density

The Roll looks fine. The density is not really critical. Although I wouldn't waste money filling a deep trap with expensive dense rockwool. Be aware that your design will cover a large amount of the surface area of your absorption material, not brilliant.
Take a look over at studiotips - tips on studio design, acoustics, and wiring for lots of DIY ideas, particularly on corner absorbers.
DD
Old 26th December 2013
It can be because of my lack of language but I really couldn't understand it. (Also the link is not working, it says report it to admin.)
I'm going to buy ROCKWOOL these days and they (the store) have
50kg/m3 - 5cm or 4cm or 3cm thick
150kg/m3 - 5cm or 4cm or 3cm thick

I'm planing to make about 10 panels, which one do you suggest 150 kg/m3 or the 50kg/m3...
Also I'm planing to use it as 10cm thick by doubling two 5cm thick rockwool in one trap... or should I triple it like 3X5cm and 15cm rockwool ? will it absorb more energy or will it absorb lower frequencies ?
I know my be these may answered before but I really couldn't understand because of lack of language... Please answer simple and clear
Old 27th December 2013
Gear Guru
Thicker

50 KG definitely.
15cm will absorb lower frequencies better than 10cm
DD
Old 6th January 2014
Quote:
50 KG definitely.
15cm will absorb lower frequencies better than 10cm
DD
today I contact to a new manufacturer, they have the 40 kg/m3....
Now should I choose the 40kg/m3 one ?
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Guru
Guess

40 seems a likely better guess than 150 but they are just guesses because we don't have the Gas Flow Resistivity or Absorption specs.

DD
Old 6th January 2014
Quote:
40 seems a likely better guess than 150 but they are just guesses because we don't have the Gas Flow Resistivity or Absorption specs.

DD
Thanks for the reply but its my fault to don't ask the question good :S

They have 50 kg/m3 and 40 kg/m3 both are 10cm thick.

40 kgm3 is cheaper...
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Guru
Guesses

I would go for the 50, but again actual absorption figures would be far better than this blind guessing. As ever I prefer 100KG for standalone traps or when straddling corners, and favour the lighter densities for filling very deep traps.
DD
Old 18th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
it's official....I'm a dork. I actually got excited when I saw that huge pile of insulation
Me too haha. Midwest Death Rattle is a fantastic project
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Head

What is the sufficent weight ratio for isolation to create superchunks, I have
found a paperbased isolation that is in the 35-45kg/m3,would this work?

Seem alot more friendly to humans compare to the fiberglass
Old 20th January 2014
Old 29th October 2015
Gear Head

Hey guys, sorry to ressurect an old thread, but there is really very little resources on the internet to help me answer my question,

I have already made 4 x 200mm RW45 traps and 4 x 100mm RW3 traps

I now am thinking next I should make 4 more x 200mm RW45 (because I still have 3 more bails of it)

4 x 100 mm RW5 or RW6, I cant find any information online as to which would be better, which would absorb more lower freq? If any one has a comparison graph I would appreciate it, so the RW5 is 100 kgs density, the RW6 is 140 kgs density.

It is for my bedroom where I make electronic music. The 8 200mm traps are for behind my desk, the 4 rw3 for the roof, the 4 rw5/rw6 for the wall behind me when Im sat at desk. If anyone has any opinions of whether this is best way to do this I would appreciate also.

Thanks a lot.
Old 29th October 2015
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJAZZ View Post
The basic rule of thumb is that the more dense it is...the better it will stop bass. I think it would also depend greatly on how you plan to build the trap. There are many ways to make a bass trap. Are you looking at a panel? Or a corner type bass trap? Or maybe some type of Holtz Resonator????

What frequency is causing you a problem?

Check out GIK acoustics...their site has a lot of useful info.

GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

Rob

@ avare do you think this is correct? More dense is better??
It is in contrast with what I learned earlier. Would be great if you explain it to me please.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by producerxtr View Post
It is in contrast with what I learned earlier. Would be great if you explain it to me please.
What are you writing about? You learned about absorption. You have links to acoustic absorption modelers. Play with them. The text you quoted above is about ISOLATION not ABSORPTION. Did you read the threads Jens linked? For that matter did you read the threads I linked in your thread?
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
What are you writing about? You learned about absorption. You have links to acoustic absorption modelers. Play with them. The text you quoted above is about ISOLATION not ABSORPTION. Did you read the threads Jens linked? For that matter did you read the threads I linked in your thread?

Yes I read those threads, but this thread here, is about BASS TRAPS

I am talking about the current thread, here alone, the title is saying Bass Traps, and then the OP is talking about absorption coefficients.
The next response (which I quoted) was also about absorption, bass traps and helmholtz resonators. I suggest you to read it again. OP is clearly talkin about Bass Trap (absorbers)
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Yes I read those threads, but this thread here, is about BASS TRAPS

I am talking about the current thread, here alone, the title is saying Bass Traps, and then the OP is talking about absorption coefficients.
The next response (which I quoted) was also about absorption, bass traps and helmholtz resonators. I suggest you to read it again. OP is clearly talkin about Bass Trap (absorbers)
I will rephrase then. The writer is wrong.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stop trying to sound smart. The answer, including several posts by me, is in this thread, starting at post 3.
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Stop trying to sound smart. The answer, including several posts by me, is in this thread, starting at post 3.
Lol
No one is trying to sound smart.
I read a comment in this thread which was in contrast with what I previously learned. That is why I quoted you. No one tried to sound smart or anything like that. Just wanted to hear your opinion about that

What's the big deal??
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear
we posted the link to acousticmodelling.

You could played with by varying porosity, thickness and air gap. You will have all the answers.
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Nut

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
we posted the link to acousticmodelling.

You could played with by varying porosity, thickness and air gap. You will have all the answers.
YES
I already know that, I played with the calculator and learned that less density is better.
That was UNTIL I SAW A COMMENT WITH WRONG INFORMATION IN HERE

So I quoted avare and asked him if the post was wrong or it has a specific reason and I am missing something.

I know that avare is a knowledgeable person and has done a lot of contributions to this community, but when I quoted him and asked him a question... He just started to make fun at first. He later realized that the comment I was referring to was wrong and he rephrased.
Then he comments again and says: stop tryin to sound smart?
Are we kids in here??
Avare was clearly disrespectful to me. I do not tolerate that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search