The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RPG Bad Panel -- Detailed Plans Channel Strip Plugins
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Nut

Talking

Cheers dude. After they were done, I never wanted to drill another f**** hole again
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Head
Here is an idea to simply the hole drilling for DIY builds using a plunge router and indexed jig.

With a couple mods to the jig in the video, it should be able keep all of the holes aligned on both the X (rows) and Y (columns) axis.

1) Instead of using a pegboard for spacing, make your own indexed "pegboard" with your center SPECIFIC center-point spacing. This specific center-point spacing could be replaced to be used on other projects that require repetitive aligned hole drilling.

2) The indexed "pegboard" needs to be longer then the width of the work piece to facilitate #3 .

3) Put perpendicular slats on each side of the pegboard jig (think double ended T-square) so the jig will always stay centered on your work peace as it slides up and down the length of the material to be drilled when advancing from one row to the next row. These perpendicular guides will keep the vertical columns straight, where the indexing pegboard will keep the rows straight.

A little time making an indexed plunge router jig could speed up the hole drilling process. The hard part will be resisting the urge to drill holes where they don't belong.

HTH
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Laser cut them...

Or save yourself the massive effort, mess and time and take your panels and get them laser cut or CNCed. Laser cutters don't make mistakes!
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
Or save yourself the massive effort, mess and time and take your panels and get them laser cut or CNCed. Laser cutters don't make mistakes!
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not been able to find anyone local that can handle larger panels and the cost would be prohibitive for the rates the locals are charging based on smaller panels (@ $[60-90] USD for a 1'x2' panel equates to $[120-180] for each 2'x2' panel and $[240-360] for each 2'x4' panel). Cheaper to buy the real thing already made including materials for those prices.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Thanks to robertopisa for providing CAD files for these much appreciated. I thought I would share my latest implementation using some spare panels I laser cut.

No I don't have measurements but it does get rid of the flutter echo in the middle of my room where there is no treatment on the ceiling, and I can put my coffee and stuff on it.
5 BAD 6mm MDF panels on a thicker base with a cloth lining inside and half filled with Knauf RS45
That looks really cool. Reminds me of a Borg or Hellraiser cube.
Old 5th September 2018
Here for the gear

I am interested in building some BAD panels, however I have question. Are we sure the 2d pattern in the RPG patent paper is the grid pattern used in there commercial offerings? Has anyone verified this by comparing the patter with a real panel? They may have only put in a inferior pattern in the paper for an example as to try to keep their secret sauce a secret. I am a little paranoid about going to all this work to build these if the pattern isn't correct. Maybe this concern has already been answered, but I didn't notice anything...
Old 10th September 2018
Gear Maniac

I did it, I have two RPG BAD ARC panels
-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by houe View Post
I am interested in building some BAD panels, however I have question. Are we sure the 2d pattern in the RPG patent paper is the grid pattern used in there commercial offerings? Has anyone verified this by comparing the patter with a real panel? They may have only put in a inferior pattern in the paper for an example as to try to keep their secret sauce a secret. I am a little paranoid about going to all this work to build these if the pattern isn't correct. Maybe this concern has already been answered, but I didn't notice anything...
Old 11th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertopisa View Post
I did it, I have two RPG BAD ARC panels
-R
Thanks.a
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

I'm sorry to revive this thread but it is the only one that almost answers my questions
I don't know what is the size of the templates shown in figure 1b
could someone smarter than me help me with a template? i have access to cnc and a laser cut machine and I have an a1 printer if I want really big templates
all i need is a template that works.. can someone make a template for A1 or A2 size paper? so i can print and drill or show the cnc\laser guy that helps me..

Old 30th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Auto cad files

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiahha View Post
I'm sorry to revive this thread but it is the only one that almost answers my questions
I don't know what is the size of the templates shown in figure 1b
could someone smarter than me help me with a template? i have access to cnc and a laser cut machine and I have an a1 printer if I want really big templates
all i need is a template that works.. can someone make a template for A1 or A2 size paper? so i can print and drill or show the cnc\laser guy that helps me..

I cut mine on a laser cutter from 6mm MDF. The panels I made were 600mm X 600mm. Laser cutting is best done from an AutoCad or Adobe illustrator .ai file. The lines then get converted to "cuts" on the laser cutter software.

The AutoCad files for 600mm X 600mm panels have been posted in this thread.

To make really big extended patterns bigger than this is a bit past my ability.

There was an XL. doc on here that let you generate patters somewhere.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I cut mine on a laser cutter from 6mm MDF. The panels I made were 600mm X 600mm. Laser cutting is best done from an AutoCad or Adobe illustrator .ai file. The lines then get converted to "cuts" on the laser cutter software.

The AutoCad files for 600mm X 600mm panels have been posted in this thread.

To make really big extended patterns bigger than this is a bit past my ability.

There was an XL. doc on here that let you generate patters somewhere.
TNX!!! I can't believe I missed those files!

maybe they should go to the main post or have their own thread..

can i make lots of 600mm X 600mm panels and just put them together and use an inverse and regular pattern side by side?

do i need to change the orientation of the panels when putting them together?
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Maniac
A whole lotta holes...

Quote:
TNX!!! I can't believe I missed those files!

maybe they should go to the main post or have their own thread..

can i make lots of 600mm X 600mm panels and just put them together and use an inverse and regular pattern side by side?

do i need to change the orientation of the panels when putting them together?
Here are the .ai files I used.

I randomised the orientation as much as I could.

Not sure of the acoustic benefit I get but they share do look priddy.

My cube does work really well at stopping a kind of flutter I had from the centre of the room where there is no cloud. It is 50% full of absorption.

What are you going to do with the material from the holes after you cut them? : )
I filled the Albert Hall with mine.
Attached Thumbnails
RPG Bad Panel -- Detailed Plans-bad_holes.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip BAD PANELS 600x600.zip (171.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

Tnx a lot! I didn't think at all about the reserve from the holes

I want to cover the side wall with those panel's..
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Is this a mix room or live room?

Quote:
Tnx a lot! I didn't think at all about the reserve from the holes

I want to cover the side wall with those panel's..
Is this a mix room or live room? And what acoustic model are you trying to create? LEDE/RFZ? Not sure just doing one side wall will help you in that really you should be trying to get as much symmetry in your space as is humanly possible.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

sorry, I should have written sidewalls obviously

I want to use lots of it actually I thought to cover the bass traps on the ceilings with those panels as well

its gonna be a mix room I will open a thread with measurements when its gonna be relevant and hopefully get my room to sound good
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Maniac
RFZ?

Quote:
sorry, I should have written sidewalls obviously

I want to use lots of it actually I thought to cover the bass traps on the ceilings with those panels as well

its gonna be a mix room I will open a thread with measurements when its gonna be relevant and hopefully get my room to sound good
Are you going to have an RFZ at all? Sounds like you are designing a live room.
Is the decay really so dead you need so much diffusion?

yes send us measurement data, before and after, would be interesting to see the waterfall
Do you have measurement data for the room empty of treatment? Probably the most important data for you of all.
Old 11th February 2019
Here for the gear

CNC Router

This looks like a cool alternative to drilling by hand.

This guy builds CNC router tables with motors etc (you provide your own router and PC).

YouTube

Here's the local CL listing:
https://vancouver.***************/nv...789853842.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search