The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic design recipes?
Old 11th October 2005
Lives for gear

Question Acoustic design recipes?

I was wondering if there exist some kind of "acoustic recipes" for
common bedroom dimensions and materials?

Let's say I want to use my 12x11 and 8' ceiling room with
brick walls for tracking and mixing .. since the room is so small I assume it
should be almost dead for it to be useful ... are there any tried-and-true
plans for treating rooms of common dimensions? or do acousticians reinvent
the wheel each time?
Old 11th October 2005

...in a room that size, as many corner traps as possible. You may want to add diffusive elements (like convex plywood panels).

It'll be hard to mic anything in that room if you outfit it for mixing. Usually dual purpose rooms like that are twice as big or more.

There are "Rules of Thumb" but there are no recipes. Every room has it's own nuances and purpose......

-tINY

Old 11th October 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Copper,

> are there any tried-and-true plans for treating rooms of common dimensions? <

You bet:

* Bass traps in as many corners as you can manage, including the wall-ceiling corners.

* Mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling.

* Some additional amount of mid/high absorption on any large areas of bare parallel surfaces, such as opposing walls or the ceiling if the floor is reflective.

--Ethan
Old 11th October 2005
Lives for gear

Thank you for your replies. Ethan, I've been reading your "Acoustic Treatment and Design" page. But I still don't know, if for a room of the dimensions I listed is better to make it as dead as possible instead of the usual live/dead? I read that in some thread that I don't remember...
Old 12th October 2005

A "live" room that size is likely to sound like a restroom - It's just not big enough to develop multiple resonances spaced close together. It is possible (and you might get lucky) using diffraction techniques like curved surfaces and RPGs, but then it likely won't be that good to mix in.

Follow Ethan's advice. You can always run cables to the stairwell, living room or back porch for tracking......

-tINY

Old 12th October 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Cops,

> if for a room of the dimensions I listed is better to make it as dead as possible instead of the usual live/dead? <

tINY nailed it, as usual. The smaller the room, the more you have to kill all the reflections. Reflections off very close surfaces are always a problem because they foster comb filtering. This doesn't mean you have to make the room totally dead. If you plan to record acoustic instruments, for a room that size you could have a reflective floor, fully absorbent ceiling, and maybe 50 percent absorption on the walls using a checkerboard or stripes pattern.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search