The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need some help treating a very peculiar room!
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

I need some help treating a very peculiar room!

So I live in Hoboken, NJ which is short on parking and even shorter on large open apartments.
I've turned a second bedroom into my studio room for lack of other space, but I really need some help deciding the best way to treat it.
It's a small room and I don't have significant issues with ring or echos, but my bass response is obviously all over the place.

Here's the kicker...
About 60-62% of the room is at a ceiling height of 5'7" due to a lofted full size bed enclosure.
The remaining portion has a full 9 ft ceiling, but due to the unique challenges with space, I'm not sure how to go about high efficiency treating of the room.
Attached is a drawing with dimensions, and I'm not opposed to doing anything except cutting out the bed (which i totally would if I could).

Thank you in advance for your help, the GS community is unbelievable and I'm sure the different opinions on how to deal with my split will start a nice discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
I need some help treating a very peculiar room!-studio.png  
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

You'll treat that room the same as any other - as much corner bass trapping as possible, plus absorption at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points.

--Ethan
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

So nothing weird happens due to the jutting out of that ledge?
I'll get right on the trapping the corners.
For clarity, you are suggesting treating the wall opposite the window and the ceiling above the open space?

EDIT:Ethan, I've seen your numerous posts on the topic and I was hoping you'd answer!

Last edited by Turtlesofthought; 15th November 2009 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: forgot info
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Look, it's a tiny cube shaped room. Yes, it has lots of issues. What I suggested is what's needed to reduce the problems as much as physically possible. You'll also want to treat the wall behind you since it's so close.

--Ethan
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear