The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Bass trap build Studio Monitors
Old 22nd February 2011
  #91
Gear Maniac
 

Yes I already planned to make them 60cm large at front (the most easy for me due to rockwool dimensions), and make 2 of them for each corner.

Why would there be moisture ???
Old 22nd February 2011
  #92
Lives for gear
 
PaulP's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daal View Post
Why would there be moisture ???
See here
Old 21st March 2011
  #93
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
I laid them on the ground on top of the fabric, stapled one side to the back, stretched it around, and stapled it on the back again.
Hi takman, me again I'm continuing my corner traps and was wondering if the staples wont cut the thin wood in two when fixing fabric on it ? Because this wood is very thin. Did you use special staples ? Very little staples ?
Old 27th March 2011
  #94
Lives for gear
 
takman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daal View Post
Hi takman, me again I'm continuing my corner traps and was wondering if the staples wont cut the thin wood in two when fixing fabric on it ? Because this wood is very thin. Did you use special staples ? Very little staples ?
didnt have a problem with the wood splitting. i think i used something like 6-8mm staples. Although i dont know what the thickness of the wood you are using is....but what i used wasnt very thin...but it wasnt very thick also.
Old 27th March 2011
  #95
SAC
Registered User
 

One can always pre-drill for the staples....

hehhehheh

A little more seriously...if the wood trim you are using is too thin to accept staples, I would suggest that your design is flawed! Use thicker trim or some other method of stretching and fastening the material. That is what they did on the space shuttle, seeing that this IS rocket science!
Old 29th March 2011
  #96
Gear Addict
 

For the adventurous ones who want to drill large circular holes on the frame sides, there are two kinds of appropriate tools to set on a drill.

- One has steel saw teeth. Problem with this is that those close teeth may bite too much into the wood and then the drill is hard to hold, so much that one can get hurt. Another problem is that the wood dust/cuts aren't well evacuated as mentionned earlier in this thread.

- The other one has much larger and more spaced carbide teeth (their shapes are not the one of a saw tooth). This cuts much easier into wood (and can also cut into tiles, bricks and other material). This costs 30%-40% more than the steel one, Bosch markets them among other manufacturers

Probably easier to build a skeleton frame.
Old 30th March 2011
  #97
Lives for gear
 
giraffe's Avatar
 

dam, perdy.
Old 31st March 2011
  #98
Lives for gear
 
takman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post
One can always pre-drill for the staples....

hehhehheh

A little more seriously...if the wood trim you are using is too thin to accept staples, I would suggest that your design is flawed! Use thicker trim or some other method of stretching and fastening the material. That is what they did on the space shuttle, seeing that this IS rocket science!
well, my design ended being a tad flimsy'er then i wanted...but strong enough to get the job done.
Old 8th April 2011
  #99
Here for the gear
 

Takman -- awesome stuff. Truly artful. I've been researching building acoustic panels for our "convent studio". I love your design and the detail you provide. I'm going to spend more time reading through this thread but am hoping you can point me in right direction.

We have one large space, about 25 feet by 40 feet. In one corner (about 10 foot square) we have our studio equipment which is used for interview shows that we have (live broadcasts and podcast recordings). Our friend who is an audio engineer suggested we get 5- to 6-foot free-standing panels to "close in" the corner where we have the equipment. Need warmer sound versus the kind of tinny sound we have now. We've got foam bass traps for the corner and will be putting up some more foam on the walls. But trying to figure out a design for the free-standing panels. I love what you've done here and was thinking I could build based on the bass traps you created. Will those work for free-standing panels too?

Many thanks for your great work here.
Old 8th April 2011
  #100
Lives for gear
 
takman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterj View Post
Takman -- awesome stuff. Truly artful. I've been researching building acoustic panels for our "convent studio". I love your design and the detail you provide. I'm going to spend more time reading through this thread but am hoping you can point me in right direction.

We have one large space, about 25 feet by 40 feet. In one corner (about 10 foot square) we have our studio equipment which is used for interview shows that we have (live broadcasts and podcast recordings). Our friend who is an audio engineer suggested we get 5- to 6-foot free-standing panels to "close in" the corner where we have the equipment. Need warmer sound versus the kind of tinny sound we have now. We've got foam bass traps for the corner and will be putting up some more foam on the walls. But trying to figure out a design for the free-standing panels. I love what you've done here and was thinking I could build based on the bass traps you created. Will those work for free-standing panels too?

Many thanks for your great work here.
thanks.

sure the panels would work for free standing. you just have to build legs for them.

look on google images for free standing acoustic panels... or GOBOS
Old 8th April 2011
  #101
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for the tip, Takman. We've been planning on doing 5- to 6-feet in height ... is that too high? What would minimum height be? When we are seated at the table the mics are just under 4 ft from the ground. The room itself is about 9.5 ft to ceiling. I'm guessing that we may need some kind of cloud at some point too but figured I'd start with the free-standing panels first. Also should the back of the panels be wood for this application? When we are broadcasting/recording, there is no one else in the room unless they are in the studio space with us or absolutely silent!

FYI Here's what the space looks like:
Old 8th April 2011
  #102
Lives for gear
 
takman's Avatar
 

well, i would build the panels in such a way that the mic is in the middle of the panel.

the panels i have are 4 ft. in length.....2ft width.

so if the mics are 4ft from the ground, the panel would start from 2ft. up from the ground. and that would give you 2 ft. in each direction withe mic in center...

coincedenatally, i just measured my panels...and they are almost exactly 2ft off the ground...

makes sense anyways, because thats about the seated position for most people, and why your mics are 4ft off the ground.

i mounted them 2ft off the ground because my monitors are 4ft off the ground.....mics, monitors.... same principle.

as far as building them, width wise...well, OC703 and rockwool comes in 2' x 4 ' pieces.....so i would build them 2' x 4', if you want wider 4' x 4'

just my non professional opinion hehthumbsup

EDIT: you may want to move out from the corner of the room. Bass is most pronounced in corners. And generally, corners of rooms are not good for acoustics.
Old 8th April 2011
  #103
Here for the gear
 

Yeah, you know we've been thinking about that corner thing. We've got some of those triangular-esque auralex foam things to line the corner. Worried that if we pull out of the corner then we'd end up having to make acoustic panels for 3 sides instead of 2.

Which picture in this thread shows the panels you have 2ft off ground? is it the ones on the wall?

Thanks for taking the time to figure stuff out with me. I'm a nun not an audio engineer! They don't teach you this stuff in religious formation. Fortunately my dad and bro are engineers so I have a predisposition to this stuff but zero training.
Old 8th April 2011
  #104
Lives for gear
 
takman's Avatar
 

i made a quickie sketch-up for you....

this would be if you had to be in the corner... just something to give you a general idea...

My Bass trap build-untitled.jpg
My Bass trap build-untitled1.jpg
My Bass trap build-untitled2.jpg
Old 8th April 2011
  #105
Lives for gear
 
takman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterj View Post
Yeah, you know we've been thinking about that corner thing. We've got some of those triangular-esque auralex foam things to line the corner. Worried that if we pull out of the corner then we'd end up having to make acoustic panels for 3 sides instead of 2.

Which picture in this thread shows the panels you have 2ft off ground? is it the ones on the wall?

Thanks for taking the time to figure stuff out with me. I'm a nun not an audio engineer! They don't teach you this stuff in religious formation. Fortunately my dad and bro are engineers so I have a predisposition to this stuff but zero training.
the panel to the left is 2 ft off the ground...



if the foam you have is not acoustic foam, then its not going to do much for you...and it would have to be fairly thick as well, being that it would be in the corner, where the bass "collects"

it would be better to put a panel straddling the corner, like in the sketchup model i made.

also, some random thoughts...i wouldnt have the mic too close to the panel you make...while recording. otherwise, it might sound muffled. when you make the panels, speak near to the panel and you will see what i am talking about.
Old 8th April 2011
  #106
Here for the gear
 

The sketches are awesome! The foam we have is made by auralex. A guy near us sets up studios and often has leftover which we got at a very good price. Here's our stash ...



So the panels don't have to be completely closed? I was thinking we had to build a cubicle-type thing and completely surround the equipment, which I figured was going to be a feat to accomplish (and to get in and out of). My early thoughts on this was that we'd build 4 of the bass traps that you built (the ones with the circle cut outs) but to a height of 6 ft and then just sort of create a wall around the perimeter of our audio setup. I was afraid that if we left open space it would defeat the purpose. But, as acknowledged earlier, I know very little about how sound works in this case, just that we definitely need acoustic treatment to improve our sound.
Old 9th April 2011
  #107
Lives for gear
 
takman's Avatar
 

i dont have any foam in my studio..... more people seem to prefer using rockwool or OC 703 to achieve their absorption needs.

This is open to debate, but IMO...foam is overpriced for what it does...even if you got a good price on it......for the cost of a few pieces of foam, you can make all the panels you need from insulation.

and in your case, i dont think foam is going to do much for you.

you dont really need to make the bass traps with holes in the side like i made. Its does make them slightly more efficient, but its a hell of a lot of work...and you arent going to gain anything from it in your case.

I dont think you need to completely encircle the area with panels. You might end up deadening the sound too much.... giving the speech/vocals a muffled dry sound. You want to have some liveness/ambience from the room, to give it a more natural sound. The goal with absorption is not to make the room completely dead, but to have a balance between the two.

In the case of making your own panels, a few can go a long way. I would make maybe 4-6 of them...and try them first before you build more. and try different positioning of both the panels and the mics.

6ft high seems too excessive to me. i would make them in 2' x '4 because as i said, thats the size the insulation is going to come in...it will make things easier.
Old 9th April 2011
  #108
Lives for gear
 
takman's Avatar
 

heres another thought...

My Bass trap build-corner.jpg

in an arrangement like this, you reduce two of the reflection points, and then you body becomes the absorber on the other side of the mic.

i hope ethan doesnt mind if i use a couple of his pics for examples

(some good reading here too)

RealTraps - Products





so as you can see, you dont need to go overboard with absorption to achieve your needs ( fully encircling the entire area, clouds, foam etc) a few panels and a good arrangement can go far.
Old 11th April 2011
  #109
Gear Maniac
 

Thanks takman for your ideas ! Just finished my room with the corner traps :

Design of my new little room
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
giraffe / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
22
lucey / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
7
melonmachine / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
2
mihau / So much gear, so little time
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump