The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Bass trap build Studio Monitors
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
ya, its winter and it was like 70 degrees out today....

if you ever come to this part of the world, come stay at our family owned hotel...

http://www.seaviewsuites.net/

heres the real view...

just for you frank

BTW i accidently delete my good pics ( clear crisp days where you could see the mountains in the distance..but you get the idea from these pics)

my little private beach on the other side of the mountain behind my house...( well its not private but theres hardly anyone ever there)

10 min walk from the house..

Beautiful pics! I've always wanted to visit Greece.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

some pics of the super chunks...they will be mounted 2" or maybe 4" from the corner...

I decided to try making them this way instead just filling the corner...

According to this article...

Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

Quote:
Foam blocks like this are meant to be mounted in a corner, stacked one above the other from floor to ceiling. When measured for absorption four of the five surfaces are exposed, but when installed as intended only the front surface absorbs. So in practice, a two-foot corner wedge like this provides only 65 percent of the absorption claimed. The shorter the wedge, the larger the disparity between the published and actual absorption.
so, if you have more material, but 2 sides of the triangle are up against the wall....it seemed better to me to have less material, and place the triangle away from the wall, therefore 3 of the 5 sides are exposed instead of 1. When you build a panel bass trap, you dont close the back off right? The panel bass trap does it absorbing through the back, because the back of it faces the corner..unless im mistaken?

also, i have hard brick/plaster walls....i would think that since its hard, its not going to absorb hardly anything at all as compared to wood/sheetrock walls....hece i think the way i did it is better to absorb...

Anyways, chunks arent "traps" technically right? So with my design, its like a combo of trap and chunk...

or maybe i just think too much?? lol

Anyways, we will see how they perform. They werent not difficult to make, i can always change it later.

i stole this idea from post # 754...just changed it a bit.

How I built my bass traps...
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
When you build a panel bass trap, you dont close the back off right? The panel bass trap does it absorbing through the back, because the back of it faces the corner..unless im mistaken?
Yes

I want to point out that those will help, but really the face should be no less then 24". Yes you are spacing it away from the corner so "maybe" your ok. You would need to test the room before and after to really make sure. Basically it looks like you build tube traps but made them a different shape. If it does not seem to work, you can always line them up across the back wall. thumbsup
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

No way was i going to have room for 24" even if i filled the corner, i could only do a 17" face...unfortunatly i have eletrical outlets , a window and a hallway all near the corners...

So now, i have an 12 inch face. But heres my point, since the other 2 sides are are now not closed off...why cant i just add all three sides togther? 8" + 8" + 12" = 28" ??

According to the article, a 24" face is not absorbing as much as you think it is....

Anyways, like you said, the room need and analysis before and after..which i plan to do...so well see what i get....

Also, later, since i cant continue all the way to the ceiling with these things, i think im going to build little 1' x 1' or 2' x 2' panels to go across the tri corners, so that will probably help..
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

According to the article, a 24" face is not absorbing as much as you think it is....

Anyways, like you said, the room need and analysis before and after..which i plan to do...so well see what i get....
That article is talking about how it was tested in the lab and to be honest with you I don't totally agree with 60%, but he is right because it was not tested in the corner. It really is not talking about the 24" face. His point is the reason I was saying you NEED 24" across, as you need to pick up as much sound as possible. With all of that said you spacing from the corner will help A LOT because the low end absorption comes from the distance from the face to the corner. Meaning the the further that the face is from the corner the better it will work.
Understand what I mean??
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nice!

Frank
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Great work, I love the cloud. I hope to do something similar myself.

Seeing as you're now an expert in cutting mineral wool, given the million
triangles you just cut, may I ask what tool you used for the cutting ?

Paul P
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Glenn: yep, i understand. good stuff on the whole face being farther the better from the wall thing...didnt know that thumbsup

Frank: thanks

Paul: Yes, it was cutting triangles for daaays....the frames i built have 3 triangles that are made from MDF. I used an extra triangle as a template. i just put the template up to the mineral wool and used that as my guide. i ended up wasting one 2'x4' sheet worth...probably could have figured out a pattern so didnt waste any...but i only paid 3.30 euros a sheet..so i can afford it. I used an electric carving knife, ya know...the kind you use at thankgiving to carve the turkey...got the idea from this vid ( although i didnt pre-cut with a utility knife like he did)

Cut rigid fiberglass for a corner bass trap#
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

just finished up my speaker stands..figured i'd post em up here...

the stands weigh 135 pounds...with speakers they weigh 160

Old 29th November 2009
Gear nut

Very nice, sir. Your thread has been an inspiration to me, that we can make DIY acoustic treatment that looks good enough to not "uglify" our rooms!
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehobbster View Post
Very nice, sir. Your thread has been an inspiration to me, that we can make DIY acoustic treatment that looks good enough to not "uglify" our rooms!
couldnt agree more...

for myself...DIY was the only option due to cost reasons...how many people have the money to pay someone to do all this?? not many.

Maybe when im rich at some point in the in future...ill have a professional company build me a real studio heh....but for now, this'll do.

im going to be done sometime this week...you wont believe how good its going to look...it already looks good and i only have the bass trapping up.

I built everything myself, all the acoustic treament, my desk, speaker stands...about the only thing i didnt build in the room was my bed.

ill be making a short vid giving a "tour" of the studio when its complete..rather than taking photos because they wont do it justice.

2 months of hard work is coming to a close...

stay tuned.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

i thought i would post up some pics of my progress, since i learned from reading older posts...i always like looking at pics too

mounting system for 3 of my six 1st reflection panels...

stole the idea from here..( post #9)

mounting acoustic panels

heres the panel receiver

small nail to adjust the distance of the panel from the wall and to make level adjustments

brackets i used on both sides to keep the panel from moving sideways and falling off in the event of an earthquake or if it gets bumped.

wall receivers in..i painted them the same color as the wall when i was done.

Heres the heavy dity mounting system for my ceiling cloud. looks like im about to hang big chunks of meat from the ceiling lol

50 pound cloud is Mounted via 6 hooks on ceiling and 6 on cloud... there is 6 extra hooks on cloud and ceiling for backup...redudant system in case one fails, the other catches it..nothing like living in earthquake central....
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Guru

very nice. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 30th November 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Yes

I want to point out that those will help, but really the face should be no less then 24". Yes you are spacing it away from the corner so "maybe" your ok. You would need to test the room before and after to really make sure. Basically it looks like you build tube traps but made them a different shape. If it does not seem to work, you can always line them up across the back wall. thumbsup
Where's Andre at?
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

well its 99 percent complete..just gotta do some touch up, and and one more layer of fabric on the red panels then trim the excess fabric...

The room sounds FANTASTIC....flutter echo is nearly gone...and the absorbers just eat the bass...

after all this work and the pictures come out like crap... they even do it justice..its one of those "gotta see it in person" things...

im still gonna take a vid..maybe that will come out better

heres the two 1st reflection sidewall panels mounted on hinges so i can get to the closet

corner chunks blend so well, can hardly see em...

No camera flash...

Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Nice work thumbsup

Thanks for sharing your project, and I hope you enjoy the sound.

Paul P
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

wow great work and great thread! bookmarked it, will be coming back here in the future to steal a few of your ideas when i move rooms next year...!

ps - i'm in your neck of the woods, kind of (morocco--we have a small medeterranean coast anyway...), what's the scene like in greece. things moving audio wise? your setup seems geared for post work based on the photos... is that the case?
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

greece is allright...athens is where the action is at..

the studio has been built for myself mainly....it will be a music studio/home theater

Just going to be recording some acoustical guitar, vocals...maybe my acoustic drums later..will also be creating electronic music...and just enjoying listening to music i like....

thanks for the compliments....
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear interested

What size are the holes in the panels? Also, how did you get the holes so even and straight? Did you trace around something?
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
greece is allright...athens is where the action is at..

the studio has been built for myself mainly....it will be a music studio/home theater

Just going to be recording some acoustical guitar, vocals...maybe my acoustic drums later..will also be creating electronic music...and just enjoying listening to music i like....

thanks for the compliments....
cool, so it's groovey home studio/high end listening station setup... have fun man! looks like it's going to sound great.

where's your hotel located, looks sweet--maybe i'll check it out on our next vacation in the neighbourhood! (actually our second next vaction, off to lisbon with the wife next wknd...)
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

so, if you have more material, but 2 sides of the triangle are up against the wall....it seemed better to me to have less material, and place the triangle away from the wall, therefore 3 of the 5 sides are exposed instead of 1. When you build a panel bass trap, you dont close the back off right? The panel bass trap does it absorbing through the back, because the back of it faces the corner..unless im mistaken?

Anyways, chunks arent "traps" technically right? So with my design, its like a combo of trap and chunk...

Anyways, we will see how they perform. They werent not difficult to make, i can always change it later.
after reading this a second time i understand that u are basically flipping the "superchunk" 180•'s so the two sides are exposed rather than the one side? Sounds like a great idea.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Diddly View Post
What size are the holes in the panels? Also, how did you get the holes so even and straight? Did you trace around something?
the holes are 51mm. if you look back in the thread, you can see where i laid out the pattern. i bacially figured out how many holes of that size i could fit on a side, drew my centerline, and laid each hole dead center, using the hole saw itself as my template. The hole saw has little notches/holes on the top if it, which i used to center in the centerline i drew.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
cool, so it's groovey home studio/high end listening station setup... have fun man! looks like it's going to sound great.

where's your hotel located, looks sweet--maybe i'll check it out on our next vacation in the neighbourhood! (actually our second next vaction, off to lisbon with the wife next wknd...)
thanks i will have fun heh

its located on the western edge of the peloponnese. yep, if you are planning a trip here...hit me up!
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorityFedup View Post
after reading this a second time i understand that u are basically flipping the "superchunk" 180•'s so the two sides are exposed rather than the one side? Sounds like a great idea.
no flipping was involved...it sits in the corner like a normal superchunk...just has an air gap..and the frame is open.

i havent seen it done like this before ( and i have read a lot of posts on here)....

I think they work great.....i havent done a room analysis with REW, but i plan to.....but think i have a good ear, and it tells me they are working very well.
Old 6th December 2009
Gear nut

the hinge idea on the panels is Cool.. will try and implement it in my room... im in a similar situation..:-P..
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Head

You are a genius about the mounting idea. BTW you're so lucky to live in such beautiful place that everyone's been dreaming about (Or maybe all Greece ppl are lucky?)
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hey takman,

very inspiring thread! Great job!

I was wondering, what are your rooms dimensions? Also, do you have any waterfall graphs to look at? You know, before and after...
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Excellent craftsmanship!! thumbsup
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmieee View Post
You are a genius about the mounting idea. BTW you're so lucky to live in such beautiful place that everyone's been dreaming about (Or maybe all Greece ppl are lucky?)
ahhh well, once you lived here for a long time...its just life as usual. But it is beautiful for sure....
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datune View Post
Hey takman,

very inspiring thread! Great job!

I was wondering, what are your rooms dimensions? Also, do you have any waterfall graphs to look at? You know, before and after...
L = 13.9ft W = 9 1/2ft H = 9.9ft

No unfortunatly no befores....i know i should have done it...but i needed time to learn REW and i wanted to get it finished. Wasnt going to really matter anyways because i was going to install what i made no matter what. heh REW will just help me "fine tune" the room.

Anyways, i kind of like the old school method of using your ears and SPL meter to determine the sound of the room...

I can tell you the sound of the room is just amazing. My friend and my father who have been in a lot of studios over years, agree about the sound.

I'm just overall happy with it.....but i will post up REW findings when i do it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search