The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass trap design question
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Bass trap design question

Hey everyone. I intend on treating a room as soon as me and my gf buy a house. Still a few months off but i'm trying to gather info so i'm good to go asap. Its basically going to be solely used for mixing and producing dance music. Im thinking of doing the superchunks style bass traps using triangle pieces of probably 60kg m3 rocksilk, from floor to ceiling in the 4 main corners. Then i'm going to do 1st reflection points on the ceiling, side walls and rear walls using wooden framed bass traps, similiar to those that everyone on here makes. I was wondering though if it would be a good idea to make 4" wooden frames, 3" 60kg m3 inside the frames, and then some 2" auralex acoustic foam on the front, which would stick out by 1". I think these would look great and maybe would help with the diffusion of high frequencies. All comments are greatly appreciated, cheers peeps.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Guru

Your plan sounds fine, but foam is not going to diffuse at all. Foam will absorb. Honestly I think just using mineral wool, rock wool or rigid fiberglass with a fabric front is going to look much better.

Glenn
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi Glenn, thanks for your response. I saw a feature in Sound On Sound magazine here in the UK where they made some panels like this and they looked great. I've been looking for the link, so if anyone finds it, it would be great if they could post it here. To be honest, if I could get hold of OC over here then I would probably go with your method but I've made some panels that way with rockwool and it appears lumpy through the fabric as it is not as rigid. Does anybody know of another product available in England that looks any better than rockwool?

Finally Glenn, if I did go this route, would having the foam with the rockwool behind it be suitable to tackle the early reflections, as well as tame the bass along with the corner traps? I suspect the room will be roughly 12'x10. Thanks again for any assistance.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Finally Glenn, if I did go this route, would having the foam with the rockwool behind it be suitable to tackle the early reflections, as well as tame the bass along with the corner traps? I suspect the room will be roughly 12'x10. Thanks again for any assistance.
I think you would be ok, but just to play it safe (I like safe ) use 4' of the rockwool with 1" of the foam. That way you know the rockwool is pretty much doing the job and the foam may or may not help but it really does not matter at that point.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Good idea. Thanks Glenn.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankelly View Post
Hey everyone. I intend on treating a room as soon as me and my gf buy a house.
If you're buying a house it would be nice to pick one that has a room with
good dimensions. Not all rooms are created equal and certain ratios of the
length, width and height are better suited than others. Might be worth
looking into. Here's one page on the subject :
ROOM RATIOS
A high ceiling would be nice.

Paul P
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
If you're buying a house it would be nice to pick one that has a room with
good dimensions. Not all rooms are created equal and certain ratios of the
length, width and height are better suited than others. Might be worth
looking into. Here's one page on the subject :
ROOM RATIOS
A high ceiling would be nice.

Paul P
Yea imagine saying to your wife, girlfriend or boyfriend "Honey you can pick any house you want but it HAS to have perfect ratios for my recording room".
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Ha, well i have to say that it didnt go down too well when i hinted at claiming the biggest bedroom as my studio. I dont know what the problem is, it would be cosy having our bedroom in the boxroom after all, no?

I found that link i mentioned to the bass traps with the foam attatched, have a look and see what you think guys. My only concern is that they are only using 30mm rockwool. Would this be ok if i was using superchunks in the corners do you think?

Studio SOS

Last edited by dankelly; 13th November 2009 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add the link!!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Would this be ok if i was using superchunks in the corners do you think?
Yea if you can go that route!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Yea imagine saying to your wife, girlfriend or boyfriend "Honey you can pick any house you want but it HAS to have perfect ratios for my recording room".
Better that than end up with a cubic room

Paul P
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankelly View Post
Ha, well i have to say that it didnt go down too well when i hinted at claiming the biggest bedroom as my studio.
We just bought a new house and I claimed the living room. You gotta
stand up for what's important.

Paul P
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear