The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RW4 for bass traps?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

RW4 for bass traps?

I found a local supplier who currently has a few packs of 4" RW4 which they tell me is 80kg/m density. As these are denser that RW3 I assume that there should be no issues with making bass traps out of these?

These are 2X4 panels and I'm sure my ceiling is 8' (I'll double check this evening).

What would be the best way to stack two of these floor to ceiling in the corners? Should I bother with a wooden frame or just cover with material and try to stack?

I seems I will have the materials for my corner bass traps sorted but in relation to treating the wall directly behind my monitors, what should I be aiming to put there, a bass panel or high-freq absorption?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I found a local supplier who currently has a few packs of 4" RW4 which they tell me is 80kg/m density. As these are denser that RW3 I assume that there should be no issues with making bass traps out of these?
That will work fine.

Quote:
What would be the best way to stack two of these floor to ceiling in the corners? Should I bother with a wooden frame or just cover with material and try to stack?
Either way will be fine. If you make a frame you can mount it this way.

Quote:
I seems I will have the materials for my corner bass traps sorted but in relation to treating the wall directly behind my monitors, what should I be aiming to put there, a bass panel or high-freq absorption?
Go with 4" or thicker.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

4" of the RW4 (very dense) behind each monitor or use less dense material to try absorb some of the higher frequencies here?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktwister View Post
4" of the RW4 (very dense) behind each monitor or use less dense material to try absorb some of the higher frequencies here?
I would use dense, but to be honest I would treat all the other areas before treating behind the monitors. Sometimes you need it and sometimes you don't.
See the following
Learn what is SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interface Response).
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Breaktwister,

I see alot of people here trying to build bass traps with 4" rigid. Unless you design a trap with an airspace like GIK or buy one - or build a resonator type, you will have to use alot more rigid and alot more space to get the same results.

I suggest, if can afford it, buy some of the GIKs or build some like them. - Basically, a wood frame with a luan (3mm) back, 5cm of 80kg/m3 rigid and an airspace of about 5cm should do nicely. Cover the face with burlap or other nice looking material, put the rigid next to the face with the airspace behind. And there you go! heh

A very broadband absorber.

True about treating behind the monitors... just make sure that there is no reflection path from the speakers to your ears and you off to a good start.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Guru

Just to add to jhbrandt comments. One thing you could do as build the panel with a wood spacer to get it off the wall. But if you really want to trap bass I would focus as many as you can straddling the corner.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
Breaktwister,

..a wood frame with a luan (3mm) back,.
What´s luan?
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

Im going to have 6 4" 2x4 traps and I intend to straddle them in the corners.

2 stacked high to the ceiling straddling each rear corner, and on the front wall Ill have one each sitting on a desktop (that is built along the whole wall) which my monitors also sit on.

I think for the two for my desktop, Ill set them horizontally so that they are behind the monitors rather than stretch up to the ceiling.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll concentrate on gettnig these traps built then I'm sure I'll be on asking for help with reflection and absorption!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear