The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
placing absorbers and building the frames
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Maniac

placing absorbers and building the frames

i order 18 2 x 4 panels of 703 fiberglass and now trying to figure out the best way to arrange them more effectively. i'm wanting to mix and track in here. i do have access to a school space that i could get good recordings out of but i really like working out of my house better.

since i have that longer portion of the room on my back wall do i treat that any differently. For things like the bathroom door i was going to build moveable panels and i'm cool with mounting ceiling corners and such.

then i've dont alot of research around the forums on building frames for my panels, does anyone have a link to a guide for something that is going to come up looking pretty neat and clean. this is also my bedroom, or as i like to call it studio that i sleep in, so i do want it to have somewhat of a nice appearance, but at the same time i dont want to skimp on treatment, i'm gong to do it i want to do it right.

i was trying to find something and let the wood show and the panel would be kind of down in that and paint the wood and make it look nice but i dont know if thats not easy or makes it to heavy just havent seen anybody doing that. another thing to note is i'm not a mastercraftsman

also as far as mounting will the wood frame make it to heavy to mount with picture hangers adn how do i go about mounting the corners and ceiling corners. and as far as floating ceiling mounting , would i be better off just wrapping the fiberglass and using rotofast hangers.

pics DSCN0224.jpg picture by guitarguy1555 - Photobucket

oh another question do i need to have a panel in front of the white dressor?
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Maniac

room dementions are 14ft wide , 19ft to long wall 14 ft to short wall, 8.5ish tall

the well is 5 ft wide by 6 ft long

closet is 2.5 deep , 2 ft wide, i can do anything with that space everything in there is from when my add set in and i ended my cleaning project early ha and bathroom is 9 wide by 5 long
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Maniac

also did a room eq graph, note i only did it at 53db instead of the 75 or whatever they were asking for because teh family is asleep
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Guru

Can't really help you with the build so much, but basically just build a wooden frame.
As far as set up you can use the following as a guide.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup

For mounting you can see my LAME video I made.

For mounting on the walls you can use ooks hooks (the video shows them). See OOK | Professional Pictures Hangers
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

this is what i was thinking

front wall- A- 2x4 4in half way up the wall in corners,
B- (3) 2 x 2 2in panels evenly spaced over head
C- 2in 2x4 on the window corner

side walls- A- 2 x 2 2inch at first reflection points
B. 2 x 2 4in halfway back ceiling/side wall corner
C. 2 x 2 2inch side wall little further back from that

"first back wall"
A. 2 x 2 4 in tv ceiling corner
b. 2 x 2 2in behind tv
c. 2 x 4 2in gobo in front of door, - i may make this one a hinged thing for a portable vocal booth type deal that i can use for that and in front of door when mixing

d. (3) 2 x 2 2in evenly spaced overhead one of them will be back in that well/ back corner thing.

back corner
A. 2 x 4 4in gobo for door corner
B. 2 x 2 2in - either on back wall or back wall ceiling corner

-does that plan seem most effective or would i be better of using more panels going floor to ceiling on the front wall?

note- i am hoping to be able to do tracking in this room as well. ill buy some plywood or something for a reflective surface. then i have that bathroom and then a good portion of the rest of the house is hardwood floors, but i think at a minimum should be able to get a good electric and vocal in here.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

advice anybody?

i have figured out how i want to do the frames but i am wondering whats the most effective use of all my traps. since i have thick carpet is alot of ceiling treatment going to be needed?

i was thinking of just laying off it and just going one 2 x 4 over the daw and then doing and doing some wall / ceiling corners. also i'm unsure how to treat my backwall since i have that "well "type layout. do i treat it normally or do i need a moveable panel to to place that makes it into more of a square when mixing?

any advice would be awsome, i'm planning on building everything this weekend. i've done my homework on the subject but it just want to make sure i dont need to do anything special to my backwall.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Any way you can do a diagram with them placed? Does it pretty much follow this layout?

GIK Acoustics: Room Setup

The key is to hit the corners (straddled) with 4" or thicker, early reflections with 2" or thicker, back wall with 4" or thicker (I actually like 6" there) and making sure you are set up in he right spot in the room.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

From what I can see it looks good to me. Move forward my son!
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

am i better doing that setup or pulling some frames from one of my other spots and doing floor to ceiling on front wall
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

I think your ok how you are. You can always add more if need be. The big thing is to DO IT!
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

i started in on making panels today, ah.. diy is so satisfying haha. however the mom didn't realize the extensiveness of this project so i'm trying to make things more moveable for when not in use.

couple questions

if i have carpet is it nessasary to have ceiling treatment, .... probably wont get to even if it did haha but just wondering. also that back well is farther than 10ft from where i sit do i still need to treat it. just wondering how to go about back wall. also will it make a big difference to have to absorbtion panels on the side wall or is the only thing that matters bass trapping and first reflection
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear