The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chris Whealy's Porous Absorber Calculator - v 1.53
Old 21st September 2009
Lives for gear

Chris Whealy's Porous Absorber Calculator - v 1.53

Fwiw, I just found out that Chris Whealy has recently put out a new version of his Porous Absorber Calculator, which is compatible with Office 2007.

Porous Absorber Calculator V1.53
Old 21st September 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks. It is a marvelous tool for room absorption design! I do not understand why it is not more popular.

Andre
Old 21st September 2009
Gear Maniac

Lovely!
It's a great tool.
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks, I've been looking for something like that for a while, but I couldn't find this one. Bookmarked.
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

I finally just played around with it today.
I have to say, Andre, you are not kidding.
You had suggested to me quite some time ago to use standard "pink fluffy" insulation at about 16" thick to build a trap in the back of my room.

Assuming that the gas flow resistance of the pink is about 5,000 rayls/m, that is an amazing combo.

I'm questioning if I should even bother with high density/thinner panels at all, at this point.

Thanks!
Seamus
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblesound View Post
I have to say, Andre, you are not kidding.
You had suggested to me quite some time ago to use standard "pink fluffy" insulation at about 16" thick to build a trap in the back of my room.

Assuming that the gas flow resistance of the pink is about 5,000 rayls/m, that is an amazing combo.
Yup. Sound absorption by porous materials, like so many other things in acoustics, is not intuitive. Unfortunately most people do not take the time to research these things to find what is, after studying them, obvious design factors. Yes, the gas flow resistivity of "pink flufffy" is around 5,000 mks rayls/m.

Some one posted a few days ago on a related thread about taking some aspirin after reading the thread. I have trying since then to come up with a snappy line like "Acoustics, the study of which made Bayer (the inventor of Aspirin) rich."

Quote:
I'm questioning if I should even bother with high density/thinner panels at all, at this point.
It depends on what you are trying to achieve. Good luck!

If you are studying acoustics, you can get Aspirin a cheaper by the case, and it lasts several days longer.

Studiously,
Andre
Andre
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

HA!
Thanks for the advice.
I'm sticking with the Excedrin Migrane.

Seamus
Old 10th October 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblesound View Post
Unless you've got no space for thicker panels, I can't think of a good reason to use higher density. Maybe if you want to absorb mostly higher frequencies?

The calculator really is an awesome tool.
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
I'm sticking with the Excedrin Migrane.
I'm a Bayer man, myself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search