The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Easy Milk Crate Bass Trap
Old 15th September 2009
Here for the gear

Easy Milk Crate Bass Trap

I just built a couple of extremely easy bass traps out of rolls of R-19 cotton bat insulation and milk crates. It's almost as simple as just leaving the insulation in the bag and putting it in the corner. I rolled up the bat like a sleeping bag and shoved it into a milk crate, I then did the same to another crate -- turned it upside-down, and zip tied it to the first crate. This could be done all the way up the corner. I'm planning on just covering it with some cloth. The crates are light so hanging isn't a problem either.
Old 15th September 2009
Gear Guru

you get a A+ for the day!thumbsup
Old 22nd September 2009
Here for the gear

I have a question. This is a cheap and easy solution, but i was curious as to how effective it is. I have a small room with only one free corner (furniture, cabinets, etc. Take up the others). But i do have some floor/wall space i could give up on either side of the mix position. My room is about 12 x 9 x 8, so i have a low end null where i mix, and a peak towards the rear of the room where i always setup the vocal mic. Any thoughts on if this would help me? Also i was wondering if the clear plastic wrap should be removed from the insul rolls? I would like to keep the fibers contained if it doesnt affect the low end absorption.
Old 22nd September 2009
Here for the gear

Yes the plastic wrap should be removed. The milk crates accomplish the same thing as building a frame out of lumber and chicken wire (which a lot of people do). Ultra Touch insulation has been proven to be effective and it packs dense enough, and thick enough, in a milk crate.
Old 2nd October 2009
DjA
Here for the gear

excuse me if this is a dumb question that is addressed in a larger thread, but these R-19 rolls - they are cotton, is that something that is not normally available at a home depot / lowes type place?

in other words, is this not the same thing?

CertainTeed 6-1/4 In. x 15 In. x 93 In. R19 Kraft Batt - 900985 at The Home Depot
Old 3rd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjA View Post
excuse me if this is a dumb question that is addressed in a larger thread, but these R-19 rolls - they are cotton, is that something that is not normally available at a home depot / lowes type place?

in other words, is this not the same thing?

CertainTeed 6-1/4 In. x 15 In. x 93 In. R19 Kraft Batt - 900985 at The Home Depot
Ultratouch:
Bonded Logic - Natural Cotton Fiber Insulation

Their distributors are online. E-mail them for more. R21 is actually better than R19 if you can get it. It comes 16" or 24" wide per bat. Very affordable, very effective.
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear Addict

Ultra Touch Left in its bags make a GREAT low end absorber. Some Big Mastering Studios in NYC do it that way...
Old 5th October 2009
Here for the gear

Yes, that's the stuff. I bought mine online. Just do a search for it. Prices aren't bad.
Old 6th October 2009
Gear Maniac

can you post some pics of your traps?

Would be cool... great idea by the way
Old 7th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Eastman View Post
I just built a couple of extremely easy bass traps out of rolls of R-19 cotton bat insulation and milk crates. It's almost as simple as just leaving the insulation in the bag and putting it in the corner. I rolled up the bat like a sleeping bag and shoved it into a milk crate, I then did the same to another crate -- turned it upside-down, and zip tied it to the first crate. This could be done all the way up the corner. I'm planning on just covering it with some cloth. The crates are light so hanging isn't a problem either.
Is there anyway to know what freq's it absorbs or where the cutoff point is? How did it work for sub freqs under 80HZ?
Old 7th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDiSanto View Post
Ultra Touch Left in its bags make a GREAT low end absorber. Some Big Mastering Studios in NYC do it that way...
Wouldn't Roxul AFB be just as if not more effective? Its more cost effective like this I assume, after all an 8ft high room would need two bags of Ultra Touch per corner to go from floor to ceiling. At 59 a bag thats more expensive than the 34 per bag for the Roxul which would cover the same amount of space.

Does this make sense?
Old 7th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjett View Post
Wouldn't Roxul AFB be just as if not more effective? Its more cost effective like this I assume, after all an 8ft high room would need two bags of Ultra Touch per corner to go from floor to ceiling. At 59 a bag thats more expensive than the 34 per bag for the Roxul which would cover the same amount of space.

Does this make sense?
I am not sure if it is better but will work pretty much the same.
Old 2nd October 2019
I found this old thread looking for an example of milk crates being used as frames for bass traps and this is encouraging. So, I was looking at this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crates-P...4621/203837841

They're taller, so I could use fewer, about 3, stacked in each corner. My questions are - do we still think this is a good idea 10 years later? And if so, is 12.5 inches wide enough? It will cover the corner, but not as much surface area as 24" wide panels, straddling the corners. Not sure if that matters.
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Guru

maybe you could also glue some rubber membranes over some of the holes.
Old 3rd October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
maybe you could also glue some rubber membranes over some of the holes.
Thanks for bumping, but I don't know what your reply means. maybe you were replying to someone earlier in the thread, or something?

But my question is: Does this still seem like a good idea? And are the proportions, particularly the width of the milk crates, a concern?
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticwhitesound View Post
Thanks for bumping, but I don't know what your reply means. maybe you were replying to someone earlier in the thread, or something?

But my question is: Does this still seem like a good idea? And are the proportions, particularly the width of the milk crates, a concern?
I assumed there were holes or gaps in the crate. so I figured a rubber membrane over a gap would help soak up low frequencies.
as it turns the low energy into heat / motion. it could be anything I guess. strips of inner tube or elastic bands even. I just assume a membrane would be better than those two. on any inner sides of the crate, rather than the outer. I wouldn't worry about dimensions. a crate's a crate so go with what the form factor dictates.
Old 3rd October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I assumed there were holes or gaps in the crate. so I figured a rubber membrane over a gap would help soak up low frequencies.
as it turns the low energy into heat / motion. it could be anything I guess. strips of inner tube or elastic bands even. I just assume a membrane would be better than those two. on any inner sides of the crate, rather than the outer. I wouldn't worry about dimensions. a crate's a crate so go with what the form factor dictates.
Oh, thank you! Sorry I was too thick to understand your comment at first! I wasn't even thinking of the gaps being a problem, interesting. I think I saw another thread where someone suggested drilling holes in the sides of the big wooden frame that held DIY bass trap panels. Is it best to have gaps/holes or not? Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh, thank you! Sorry I was too thick to understand your comment at first! I wasn't even thinking of the gaps being a problem, interesting. I think I saw another thread where someone suggested drilling holes in the sides of the big wooden frame that held DIY bass trap panels. Is it best to have gaps/holes or not? Thanks!
from what I understand in respect of lower frequencies, letting sound in and then trapping it, is the general idea. internal rubber membranes will soak up energy. like the rubber mounts on an engine do. if there is any kind of solid wall, some pieces of rubber on the inside should also impede build up of resonant frequencies.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Size matters

Quote:
I found this old thread looking for an example of milk crates being used as frames for bass traps and this is encouraging. So, I was looking at this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crates-P...4621/203837841

My questions are - do we still think this is a good idea 10 years later?
Yes, this is as excellent idea! To day as well as 10 years ago!
Fast, cheap, practical, versatile!

You can use them for storage or sell them at a later date (if you’ve found another hobby)
What more can one ask for?

Then you have to fill the crate with some fluffy of optimum GFR

Quote:
And if so, is 12.5 inches wide enough?
If you can find a bigger one (of similar construction) go for that, because it will have a lower cut off.

Soft absorbers are wide-band which means they absorb all frequencies down to a cut off frequency where they start loosing it's magic...

The crate will reflect high frequencies a bit and will make the room less "dull" sounding which is often the result of only soft absorption.
And you can turn the crate to expose more/less wood. Nice!

Bigger is better and BIG means: Area plus Depth.
So, how low do you want to go?

E.g. If you have a 10x 9x 8 ft room w heavy walls you need ≈60 Hz bass traps for three dimensions...

Seems like we have to make some compromises

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search