The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seeking advice regarding my small tracking room Bass Traps
Old 9th September 2009
Gear Head

Seeking advice regarding my small tracking room

So I am pretty sure, my situation is not the healthiest alternative, but at the risk of being told off, here's my situation. I have a 10' x 10' room with a 8' ceiling and concrete floor, in my basement. The room has not been finished and is all exposed studs and joists. I placed r-19 fiberglass insulation in every joist and stud cavity around the room at approx 6" deep. The room sounds very dead, i'm sure there is bass reflections given the density of the r-19, but i don't know how to measure this. I use this room to record vocals and acoustic guitar, all other instruments are recorded direct or via VSTi's... So how bad of a situation is this? Am I really losing quality or is this merely a health issue? or is this perfect? I know it can't be, so please let me hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks
Mike
Old 9th September 2009
Gear Guru

First off there is no health issue with fiberglass. Do a search here on GS and you will see. As far as the room itself, how does it sound? Are you still getting room sound in your recordings? The problem with a room that size is that "bowing" sound you get and the only way to solve it is to make it as dead as possible.
Old 9th September 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix View Post
i'm sure there is bass reflections given the density of the r-19, but i don't know how to measure this.
Yes, six inches of fluffy fiberglass in the ceiling only is not sufficient for a small square room. Depending on what else you plan to record, you'll benefit from adding a few corner bass traps. As for measuring, it's not terribly difficult and it doesn't have to be expensive:

ETF, Windows, $150
FuzzMeasure, Mac, $150
Room EQ Wizard, Windows and Linux, Freeware
This article explains how I use ETF, but the principles apply to all such programs.
Comparison of Ten Measuring Microphones

--Ethan
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Head

Ethan

Thanks for the feedback, however, i wanted to point out that notj ust the ceiling has fiberglass insulation, but all of the walls are treated with r-19 as well. I will check into the links you offered.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Head

Glenn

Thanks for the heads up on the health front. How does it sound... I think it sounds pretty decent. I can link to a recording i've done, but perhaps I don't have a good frame of reference for a 'good' room. However, I don't know what you mean by 'bowing', could you define this more clearly?

Thanks again.
Mike
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix View Post
Glenn

Thanks for the heads up on the health front. How does it sound... I think it sounds pretty decent. I can link to a recording i've done, but perhaps I don't have a good frame of reference for a 'good' room. However, I don't know what you mean by 'bowing', could you define this more clearly?

Thanks again.
Mike
bowing is a low/mid sound that you get in a small room. It is just a sound and don't know how to explain it any better. If the room is sounding good then maybe you are good to go.
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

The word is b o i n g except if you spell it without the spaces you get this:

heh
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
The word is b o i n g except if you spell it without the spaces you get this:

heh
lol.. thats why I keep having to spell it that way!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol lol
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

How about boyng?

Old 10th September 2009
Gear Head

Pretty funny! I don't hear the , or bowing, or boyng! So either i don't what i'm listening for, or I'm not getting the issue.

Anyway, it does sound pretty good... I might add some more r-19, especially since there doesn't seem to be any health concerns in the corners to make sure I'm treating them the way the should be.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search