The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My room is a hot mess...ugh
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

My room is a hot mess...ugh

So tomorrow was supposed to be my day of working on my room acoustics. I just moved into a new place and got an awesome basement space out of the deal. It is not an ideal space, but considering that I now have studio space, I am quite happy about it.

My original plan was to build a few 6" deep panels, stuff them with rockwool, and Bob's your Uncle. However, I just looked upon my room with fresh eyes, and I now realize that I must go a different way. I have corners where a panel won't fit, and I have corners where it just makes sense to have a panel, etc.

The main issue is that there is a shelf, about a foot wide, that runs along the exterior wall and part of the back wall. It presents a number of problems for bass trapping the back corners of the room. Where it does run along the back wall, I see a perfect opportunity to put up a panel, effectively filling in a void.

I guess my main question is, will combining superchunks and panels for bass trapping cause me problems with an uneven frequency response in my room?

If you guys need any dimensions, pictures, or drawing, I will certainly post those. I would now, but it's my bed time.

Thank you in advance!
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I guess my main question is, will combining superchunks and panels for bass trapping cause me problems with an uneven frequency response in my room?
No not at all. Combining both methods is always welcome.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you so much for the reply! I guess I am just over thinking it. The most "treatment" I have ever done is hanging up some blankets.
Old 7th July 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

You can't really have too much bass trapping in a small room. The thing to watch is to make sure you don't have too much high frequency absorption. This is even worse if you don't have any bass trapping and a lot of HF absorption.
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
You can't really have too much bass trapping in a small room. The thing to watch is to make sure you don't have too much high frequency absorption. This is even worse if you don't have any bass trapping and a lot of HF absorption.
Great point and to add you can use FRK on the fronts of the traps to keep some "life" in the room.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated.

I will pick up some FRK when I grab the insulation tomorrow. Just started working on the frames yesterday, but so far everything is coming together. Turns out my carpentry skills aren't so terrible.

I got some fabric to put on everything, but it is just bland old unbleached cotton. It was the cheapest I could find that past the breath test. Will spray painting the fabric have a negative impact on the absorption?

Thanks again
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I got some fabric to put on everything, but it is just bland old unbleached cotton. It was the cheapest I could find that past the breath test. Will spray painting the fabric have a negative impact on the absorption?
If for the traps that are the FRK on them, yes you are fine. But if for panels for early reflections then NO. It will start to reflect some of the high end that you want to absorb.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Cool. Thanks Glenn!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search