The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stuffing insulation in the ceiling
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

Post Stuffing insulation in the ceiling

Hi there,

Just wanted to ask a question. Would you say it's worthwhile to stuff insulation in the roof ?

I was thinking of a way to reduce decay times without having so many panels in the room and thought of perhaps stuffing fluffy fiberglass bales in the attic crawl space that I have. Would I be wasting my time or do you think it can make a worthwhile difference ? Has anyone here stuffed their roof space with insulation and has it made a positive improvement ?

I've already got 4 tri-traps (stacked from floor to ceiling in the two front corners) and 3 244 panels and the differences it's made has been significant. But certain songs still sound muddy or boomy, even after treatment. I'm sure several people have done this so your opinions on this would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Nut

Anyone ?

Regards,
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Nut

Well, thanks guys for the help. Truly appreciate it.

Regards,
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Guru

Would the fluffy fiberglass go above a drop ceiling? If so then yes, but if going above a hard ceiling then no it really is not going to help.
You may want to contact us to go over your layout of the treatment and your mix spot. We may be able to move things around to yield a better sound or give some recommendations on some other treatment.
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Nut

Hi Glenn,

I have a solid ceiling. I was hoping that if I put in sufficient insulation that it would make a worthwhile difference, perhaps to lower frequencies (perhaps at 50 Hz and below). Keep in mind that I don't have any EQ in my system. I sold the Velodyne SMS-1 (which I used to EQ the system) so I have zero EQ right now. For all I know, the elevated room peaks might be giving me the impression of a bit of boom on the lower frequencies. Or it's possible that I still have quite a bit of ringing left over. I know that when I used the SMS-1 before, my frequency response looked like crap. I haven't measured my response since.

Thing is, most music sounds tight and well defined, others sound a bit muddy but the bass is also lower down I think. It's not 80 Hz or anything that I'm having a problem with, I think. To be honest, it might be 60 Hz and down. I've only covered two corners, floor to ceiling and it's made a huge difference, don't get me wrong. But at this stage, I'm getting grief from my significant other and I was hoping for a solution of sorts without imposing further with more panels. I mean, I would love to just put another several panels in to complete the sonic picture but at this point in time, that will be very difficult. I'll need to do some serious convincing and I don't think I'll win.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Addict

I guess it depends how solid your ceiling really is. But if it's more than 20kg/m², it won't make any difference. If it's sheetrock, you have a chance, but I'd rather suggest bass-trapping under the ceiling. Stuffing it will improve your sound insulation though.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Guru

Like said, give us a call or email and lets see if we can maximize that you have already. You would be surprised how moving stuff around could help.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Nut

Cool, thanks Glenn. I'll send an email your way. Thanks spm_gl for the advice.

Regards,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search