All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Skyline made of Lego blocks
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Yep, Legos can be really expensive.

Well folks, back to wood MDF and styrofoam! haha
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

the blocks in the op's thread don't look like lego brand to me. the proportions of the dots and the pastel colors, and some of the shapes....
not trying to start a flaming war of real vs chinese knockoff legos...
really interested in the possibilities...
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejon View Post
the blocks in the op's thread don't look like lego brand to me. the proportions of the dots and the pastel colors, and some of the shapes....
not trying to start a flaming war of real vs chinese knockoff legos...
really interested in the possibilities...
yup you are right, it's not made from "lego" as in from the LEGO company, but I don't what the hell else I should call those things..but they are deffinately cheaper than the actual "LEGO"...but hey they're the same...so there you go..I Made 3 of em, and put it on the wall behind me...it looks awesome..
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
Only thing is...and anyone with kids knows this...man, Legos are *expensive*. Can you imagine what a kit like this would cost? I'd be willing to bet you'd sell a bunch of 'em though.

Frank
Right, name-brand Legos aren't cheap, but what I'm seeing in the OPs pic aren't actual Lego brand Legos, which is probably how he got away with building it for such a reasonable cost.

Hey, if it works...

EDIT - oops, guess I was a little slow on the post, this has already been covered. Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Old 19th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubbernek View Post
yup you are right, it's not made from "lego" as in from the LEGO company, but I don't what the hell else I should call those things..but they are deffinately cheaper than the actual "LEGO"...but hey they're the same...so there you go..I Made 3 of em, and put it on the wall behind me...it looks awesome..
"Push-connect building blocks".

Really interested to see if these work. I have enough Lego in storage to build some. Put them in a frame behind some fabric and nobody will ever know heh
Old 19th December 2010
I tried making diffusers in Lego Digital Designer and ended up making a truck. Man I love Lego.
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline made of Lego blocks-screen-shot-2010-12-19-15.21.43.png  
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

BRB...buying legos
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

If you use Sketchup, you can download a lego file from the 3D warehouse.

Build your Skylines in Sketchup and then you'll know EXACTLY what you need.heh

(btw, there is TONS of already modeled acoustic treatment items and studio stuff in general. And I DO mean TONS...instruments, mics, amps, Pro Audio, monitors ...you name it and you can find it there.

fitZ
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline made of Lego blocks-lego1.jpg   Skyline made of Lego blocks-lego2.jpg  
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Mega blocks have two different size holes/nobs. If you get the bigger ones you are able to fill in the gaps better for more density.
As for cost of Lego or Mega blocks Garage Sales.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear
Thread revival alert!!!!!

What are some cheaper imitation duplo* brands?

Could the OP please let us know what brand/source of lego blocks he used to arrive at the cheap price?

I've found Mini Micro by Mega Bloks but they look like they get sold in tubs of random stuff. Any no-nonsense cheap imitation supplies?

This seems like such a sick idea that it must be in my studio. I'm thinking some sort of expandable filler foam for extra density and a good glue to get some extra performance maybe???
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Nut

Skyline made of Lego blocks

I did a rastafari Duplo diffusor couple of weeks ago.

Well. Even buying blocks from eBay is too expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline made of Lego blocks-imageuploadedbygearslutz.jpg  
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction View Post
What are some cheaper imitation duplo* brands?

Could the OP please let us know what brand/source of lego blocks he used to arrive at the cheap price?

I've found Mini Micro by Mega Bloks but they look like they get sold in tubs of random stuff. Any no-nonsense cheap imitation supplies?

This seems like such a sick idea that it must be in my studio. I'm thinking some sort of expandable filler foam for extra density and a good glue to get some extra performance maybe???
sorry i can't remember what it is called
Old 6th January 2013
Here for the gear

As long as you really do build to the correct well-depth (see below), I see no reason this shouldn't work, and I wouldn't bother with sealing the cracks or filling in the cavities behind the blocks.

The blocks are air tight and rigid due to their thickness and their geometry, so I wouldn't expect them to flex, bend, and resonate when sound hits them. Test this by tapping the whole assembly gently. Does it ring like a cymbal, or rumble like a floor tom? I doubt it. So no need to fill in those cavities.

And my sense - I haven't played with legos in a few decades - is that the air gaps between wells is so narrow that they have little to no impact at 20kHz or below. So I wouldn't seal it.

The high frequency diffusion should be great. The way to reach lower frequencies, of course, is to build bigger skylines, with bigger patterns, and calculate the pattern that includes larger wavelengths. I haven't checked their math, but this one looks great to me Calculate a Two-Dimensional Primitive Root Diffuser

I think the most important thing to get right is the dimensions. The heights depths and widths of the skyline really must be accurate. One might think that close enough is OK, and random variation would only make it more diffuse. But that is incorrect. The math gives you great randomness. If you deviate from the math, you make it more of a reflector - at some frequencies, in some directions - and less of a diffusor. I heard Manfred Schroeder tell the story that when they first measured an early prototype of his QRD-type measured in the lab, they found the scattering was disappointing. Then they double checked the dimensions and found one well was just a little off. Correcting this gave him the diffusion he expected.

Randomness - it's no accident.
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm waiting for '3D printers' to become more affordable
Old 11th January 2013
This is so cool! Lol
Old 21st February 2018
Here for the gear

Duplo panel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyrec View Post
I did a rastafari Duplo diffusor couple of weeks ago.

Well. Even buying blocks from eBay is too expensive.
1.5 years after reading following these threads and other forums,
I am crowdfunding for those Duplo bricks... to build a 38x29...

Here a smaller mock-up in 3D, however not yet in same size or color-coded 'towers' (wells).
https://desiderataxyz.files.wordpres...4-18-42-13.jpg

The campaign: Akustinen taulu - Duplo palikoista

Favorite project so far is a green guitar on EPS. Background should have been black, however at the time I did not manage to find a spray that doesn't eat eps... video: YouTube

My web site: Desiderata Oy – Mind your Ear(s) – Acoustic Solutions – …for a better sound experience!

Love to hear you comments!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search