The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gobos, Acoustic treatment, what do you do?
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Head

Smile Gobos, Acoustic treatment, what do you do?

Hi Guys, I have been looking at some of your studio pics and I must say I am drooling!! I have 3 questions to all you guys that have build your own treatment in the past.

1. In some of your studios I notice a common theme with walls. There seems to be a series of wooden frames containing some sort of compressed fibreglass or similar with a fabric cover. I have seen this in a lot of your studios. How did you do this and does anyone have a link to some plans etc

2. I want to build some gobos for a semi vocal booth or as isolation for other instruments. Has anyone ever made these before? Any advice on which way to go. I was thinking to build wooden frames 2.4metres high*60cm's wide and 4 inches thick with compressed fibreglass. I want to build 4 of them so they can sit in the corners of my small live room for bass trapping or be moved to isolate or make a vocal booth etc. Anyone got any pics or advice on this?

3 Lastly unfortunately where I am has a ceiling of 2.5 metres ( roughly 8 feet) I suffer from the washed out phasey cymbal thing and was wondering if I should use a diffuser or absorbtion on the ceiling to help elimitate this problem. Any advice

Thanks
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

all u need right here, studios under construction

www.johnlsayers.com
Old 19th August 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick96
1. In some of your studios I notice a common theme with walls. There seems to be a series of wooden frames containing some sort of compressed fibreglass or similar with a fabric cover. I have seen this in a lot of your studios. How did you do this and does anyone have a link to some plans etc
You've pretty much got the idea behind the construction of 'em. The fiberglass you want to use isn't exactly standard issue though. It's an Owens Corning material called 703. Get that, stretch & attach some fabric...then hang it on the wall.

Quote:
2. I want to build some gobos for a semi vocal booth or as isolation for other instruments. Has anyone ever made these before? Any advice on which way to go. I was thinking to build wooden frames 2.4metres high*60cm's wide and 4 inches thick with compressed fibreglass. I want to build 4 of them so they can sit in the corners of my small live room for bass trapping or be moved to isolate or make a vocal booth etc. Anyone got any pics or advice on this?
Yeah, put casters on 'em and get good ones. They'll get pretty heavy and it sucks to drag 'em around. I'd also put absorbtion on one side and make the other hard & reflective with some plywood, that way you can vary the room acoustics.

Quote:
3 Lastly unfortunately where I am has a ceiling of 2.5 metres ( roughly 8 feet) I suffer from the washed out phasey cymbal thing and was wondering if I should use a diffuser or absorbtion on the ceiling to help elimitate this problem. Any advice
Either of those would help, I'd go the absorbtion route myself if I could only pick one...but a hipper idea would be to put in 2'x2' squares and mix the absorbtion and diffusion like a checkerboard.
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Head

Smile Thanks

Great advise and ideas. Thanks for all the info and for taking the time to respond :-) Checking out the link now
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Nick,

> does anyone have a link to some plans etc <

John Sayers' site already linked is excellent, and you'll also learn a lot from my Acoustics FAQ:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

> I suffer from the washed out phasey cymbal thing <

This is common when using overhead microphones near a reflective ceiling. The cure is absorption on the entire area of the ceiling over the drums.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search