The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IIG 1280 - 8lbs ft3 too much?
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Nut

IIG 1280 - 8lbs ft3 too much?

i just treated my control room using everyone's advise here so thanks a ton. It sounds much, much better. So much so, I'm on to the tracking room.

I just found a company in Charlotte, NC selling IIG 1280 which is 2" "Minwool Industrial Board" at 8lbs pcf and sells in packs of 6 24x48 panels for 34.56. That's .72 sq ft. I saw that Ethan, Glenn and Andre had given the go-ahead for the Minwool 1200 series but not as high as 8lbs pcf. Just want to double check before I buy/hang it. I know this is the highest density anyone here recommends but this will work, right? Any drawbacks i should know about? i plan on wrapping it with fabric and mounting it to the wall with some simple 2 x 4 spacers. Maybe 2-3 inches from the walls and ceilings as well as straddling corners. It would make my life so much simpler not to have to build frames like i did for the Rockwool in the control room. In addition to the Rockwool in the control room, I mounted some Knauf (6lbs pcf) on the walls and it was very easy and looks great. I'm hoping to do the same here for cheaper as it's a much bigger space. i attached the frequency absorption chart and a brief description from the PDF the company sent. The 1280 is 8lbs pcf, 1260 is 6, 1240 is 4. They only carry the 1280 for some reason.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. The company is called Atlantech Distribution and the number is 704.391.0611 if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
IIG 1280 -  8lbs ft3 too much?-cm-capture-1.jpg   IIG 1280 -  8lbs ft3 too much?-cm-capture-2.jpg  
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Nut

Found it

Sorry about the redundant question. Just found it here in case someone runs across this post:

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

It looks like it'll be great and it's cheap. Given it's density, I assume it'll will be very rigid and easy to just screw in with some large washers.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quite honestly, you can use 6" of 1240 instead of 4" of 1280 for less money and it will perform better. For the side wall reflections, the 1240 or 1260 will work just fine.

Bryan
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
It looks like it'll be great and it's cheap. Given it's density, I assume it'll will be very rigid and easy to just screw in with some large washers.
It is rigid, but not as rigid as say OC705. I will would build a frame for it if you want it to look good.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks for the responses. Thought it might be too good to be true. I'll check it out and see what it's consistency is. Frames might be a deal breaker for me and i might just spend some extra money on the Knauf 705 equivalent. I just went all out treating my control room and with the excess material, made six additional traps for the tracking room and i'm a little bass trapped out. Was hoping to make it easy and cheap for my last leg and get back to recording music.

As far as the 4" vs 6", I'm treating my tracking room and it doesn't really seem to have major bass problems of the low, low variety. In general, it just sounds kind of blah. I'm sure it's because it's about 5/8 carpet which i know is bad. i considered ripping that up and laying down hardwoods but then I would have a much too live room that needed even more absorbers. While I know it would sound better in the end, I just can't afford all that right now. I just keep most of my tracking on the hardwood side.

That being said...

My guess is that it has a 250-400 boost or something ugly like that. Definitely not boomy. My thinking was covering the corners with 4 inch Rockwool with a reflective facing (mostly done) and finish out with 2 inch on the ceilings over the hardwoods and then parallel walls. I'm not really going after the 100's and lower like i was in the control room. Someday, I'll put hardwoods down through the whole thing but for now, I was hoping to just tighten it up a bit and absorb some reflections between parallel surfaces. It's about 20x30 with 9.5 ft ceilings.

That being the case, you think panels of 2" 705 or 1280 will work if it's 2" off the walls/ceilings?

Thanks,
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search