The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
advice for treating back wall with built in closet. foam?
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Head

advice for treating back wall with built in closet. foam?

The back wall in my new mixing space/control room has a built in closet on the one side, its behind my right shoulder if I am facing my monitors. I wanted to put some kind of diffusion on the closet frame, and the outside of the closet doors since its a first reflection point.

The door on the closet is a sliding door with panels that are roughly 12" wide. I figured the easiest way to do this would be to hang some foam on the door panels. I have a bunch of 2'x4' (DIY) rockwool panels in the room, but I can't really hang the big 2'x4' panels on the sliding closet door panels because they are too narrow. So I'm thinking some small foam panels are my best option for this particular application? I also figure the contents of the closet will trap some low frequencies, so mostly I think I just need diffusion at this spot. sound right?

any other ideas?

If I go for foam, is the Sonex stuff better than the Aurelex? I know foam by mail is crap. And I know the DIY rockwool panels would be the cheapest option, but right now my time is precious and I don't think I have the time to make a bunch of small panels for the closet door...
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Flyer View Post
I'm thinking some small foam panels are my best option for this particular application? I also figure the contents of the closet will trap some low frequencies, so mostly I think I just need diffusion at this spot.
I'm sure you meant absorption, not diffusion. Regardless, foam is okay if it's thick enough.

--Ethan
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

I put my 2X4 panels on stands in fron of my closets. Worked out perfectly.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have a bunch of 2'x4' (DIY) rockwool panels in the room, but I can't really hang the big 2'x4' panels on the sliding closet door panels because they are too narrow.
How about making some stands for them. That way you can use them for other things in the room also.

Glenn
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
I'm sure you meant absorption, not diffusion. Regardless, foam is okay if it's thick enough.

--Ethan
why absorption and not diffusion?

stands are a good idea actually, I had not thought of that... room is a little bit small though, not sure where I would move them when not in use. I'm in and out of the closet a good bit too...
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Flyer View Post
Foam absorbs. It does not diffuse.

--Ethan
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
stands are a good idea actually, I had not thought of that... room is a little bit small though, not sure where I would move them when not in use. I'm in and out of the closet a good bit too...
Well when you cutting a vocal you can use it as a make shift booth. thumbsup

Quote:
Here is a little about diffusion for yea.

How Diffusion Really Works. Spotlight on MASSIVE Mastering.
Diffusion is a Wonderful Tool by Jeff Hedback

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search