The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mix of broadband and tuned traps
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Nut

Mix of broadband and tuned traps

More of a theory question than for a specific room, but I've often heard that a mix of tuned and broadband bass traps works best for a room, however I am curious how you would generally devide the real estate between those traps.

Take for example, you've got a large 63 Hz dip from a 9 ft. ceiling that you've confirmed with a frequency sweep is the room's largest single problem at the mix position (but the rest of the bass isn't great). RPG's corner traps tuned at 63 Hz (just as an example) would work for this, but is there a good way (other than just trial and error) to judge between using several of those 63 Hz traps taking up corner space vs. say, floor to ceiling superchunks in every corner? Or superchucks part of the way up the wall and then the tuned trap sitting on top of it?

Just for the hypothetical, I'm pretending price isn't an object.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Guru

Well a mix of both is never a bad thing, but for smaller rooms (95% of all rooms these days) it is always best to start with broad band, get the response as good as possible then for that last little bit go with tuned. To be honest most people install broad band and find it pretty workable and just stick with that. Heck with broad band there is no reason you can't get a room within a window of 10 db in most cases.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search