The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Putting 703 on the wall without a frame?
Old 16th June 2009
Here for the gear

Putting 703 on the wall without a frame?

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time...

I wanted to help improve a room by building some panels of 703 and 705; on this forum, most people tend to frame the back in order to wall mount them and to staple the fabric in.

Would something like Rotofast work? Because it would eliminate the need for the frame. I'm worried about making the fabric job harder now.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to build 8 705's, 2 4" mineral wool bass traps, and 2 703 cloud ones.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

If you don't mind how that looks, then go for it. All that matters is getting the rigid fiberglass in the right places, and having enough of it.

--Ethan
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Guru

Also how would you get is off the wall without messing it up?
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxsw85 View Post
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time...

I wanted to help improve a room by building some panels of 703 and 705; on this forum, most people tend to frame the back in order to wall mount them and to staple the fabric in.

Would something like Rotofast work? Because it would eliminate the need for the frame. I'm worried about making the fabric job harder now.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to build 8 705's, 2 4" mineral wool bass traps, and 2 703 cloud ones.
Actually, I think it's rare (and self-defeating) to frame the back. Most DIY panels have framed sides, but even that is unnecessary.

If you're lucky enough to have a ceiling that's a multiple of 4' (mine are 8') you can simply cram a pair of unframed panels in place with a spacer behind. 4" of space behind a 4" thick panel is generally recommended as optimal. And the same panels can be crammed into a vertical corner without spacers.

Homebrewed Music − 13 Broadband Absorbers

Fran
Old 17th June 2009
Here for the gear

I had this EXACT same problem, and figured out a solution i think you'll find helpful:

1. I covered the panel in fabric and cut four holes in the fabric (small ones about 2 inches in diameter) in each corner, thereby exposing the fiberglass.

2. I screwed in ROTOFAST CEILING HANGERS (i think they're called) which are essentially eyehooks that screw into fiberglass. They work VERY WELL.

3. I used wire to loop in the eyehooks, and had four eyehooks in the wall (OOX hooks will do as well). I looped the wire on the other end and hung them on the 4 hooks like a picture frame.

4. I used 2" nails as spacers, with the flat end against the wall and the sharp end against the panel, thereby keeping it in place and equally spaced on all sides.

HOPE THAT HELPED! and mine look really decent for DIY with this method.
Old 17th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitedreams84 View Post
I had this EXACT same problem, and figured out a solution i think you'll find helpful:

1. I covered the panel in fabric and cut four holes in the fabric (small ones about 2 inches in diameter) in each corner, thereby exposing the fiberglass.

2. I screwed in ROTOFAST CEILING HANGERS (i think they're called) which are essentially eyehooks that screw into fiberglass. They work VERY WELL.

3. I used wire to loop in the eyehooks, and had four eyehooks in the wall (OOX hooks will do as well). I looped the wire on the other end and hung them on the 4 hooks like a picture frame.

4. I used 2" nails as spacers, with the flat end against the wall and the sharp end against the panel, thereby keeping it in place and equally spaced on all sides.

HOPE THAT HELPED! and mine look really decent for DIY with this method.
Awesome! Thanks for the help. I bought some hooks today, so soon, I will try this, and maybe take some pictures. This forum (particularly Glen and Ethan) have been an unbelievable resource, so if it goes well, maybe that will help someone else.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitedreams84 View Post
Does anyone know where you can get these rotofast mounts in the UK? Icalled one place but they never called back :(

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search