The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
amateur at building bass traps
Old 15th June 2009
Here for the gear

amateur at building bass traps

Hey guys, i have read through the forum, and also read alot on the john sayers forum, but since i am the worst handyman of all time i am struggling like crazy to build the bass traps for my small room (2.20 height, 2.65 depth, 2.00 across). i have cut the rockwool, tried to glue them together on top of eachother to fit them as a 2,20 high monstrous construction into a corner, but they are wobbly as all hell and its a pain in the ass to wrap any kind of fabric around them, and basically, now i just feel like an idiot. making acoustic panels is easy, so i was wondering if making panels with 4 inch rock wool in them and hanging them in the corners would do the job instead of the superchunks which i am SO inept at making?
Old 16th June 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

All else being equal, superchunks will outperform 4" thick panels. However, with the same quantity of rockwool, you can cover more surface area with 4" panels than the same amount of material in superchunks.

Therefore, the 4" panels will be more cost-effective due to the greater coverage area, unless you have enough material to cover every available corner with superchunks. But that's a lot of rockwool....

Put another way, add 4" thick panels to every corner until they are ALL covered. If you still have material left, then add superchunks starting with the wall/wall corners for a bit more improvement.

Note this is only discussing corners, not reflection points, rear walls, front walls, etc., which require yet more material....
Old 16th June 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

Also, don't feel bad! If great-looking and super-effective bass traps and other panels were quick and easy to make, then everyone would DIY and we (and all other acoustics companies) would be out of business....
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
Also, don't feel bad! If great-looking and super-effective bass traps and other panels were quick and easy to make, then everyone would DIY and we (and all other acoustics companies) would be out of business....
Could not agree more..

As far as super chucks vs 4", yes more panels are better but I still would use super chunks floor to ceiling in 2 of the corners. 4" just does not do much below 60 hz where super chunks (kind of like our tri trap) kicks it butt!!heh
Old 17th June 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
4" just does not do much below 60 hz
Depends on the 4" panel..... and also the coverage area in the room.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
Depends on the 4" panel..... and also the coverage area in the room.
Sure something like your guys mondo or our 244 would do better then a DYI product but even yours and ours are more focused on 60hz and above.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search