The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Advice on Treatment?
Old 12th June 2009
Lives for gear

Advice on Treatment?

Here is a diagram attached.

Floor is wooden with a thin carpet all across it (those 2 foot tiles made of plastic and carpet) Not a solid floor, I'm in a larger garden shed!

All walls are plaster wall with an outer timber construction, the roof is not flat but reaches a point which helps standing waves...slightly.

Roof is plywood filled with insulation (against the cold not sound!) and no it wasn't intended to help the acoustics when it was all built.

Cupboard is more of another room you have to go outside to get into, full of garden tools, I'll make it a vocal booth when the C12 and sE reflections filter comes next millenia.

How would I help my mix position? 2 walls on either side and 2 corners to work with plus a roof a few feet above it at a slant.

Don't tell the police about my cannabis either.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Treatment?-studio.jpg   Advice on Treatment?-studio.gif  
Old 12th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Dimensions would help, but I'll assume a bedroom size space based on the drawing of your mix desk.

The first problem I see is the mix position is not symmetrical left and right. See this:

How to set up a room

Then you need as much bass trapping as possible, plus absorption at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points:

Acoustics Facts & Fiction
Early Reflections

Love the cannabis patch! Your secret is safe with me - and about 10,000 other GS members. heh

--Ethan
Old 12th June 2009
Lives for gear

How do you mean not symmetrical? Would you reccomend I swap the monitors to the opposite end and mix in the center of the wall with equal distance on each side? then put the kit where the desk is now?

If you mean the attempted equilateral triangle that's just my crap paint skillz. Monitors are at my head level and hope to have mopads soon. That's a desk, not a mix desk, I tried to get the ratios roughly right here but I'm just a bit wide.

It's about 8ft wide by 14ft long.
Old 12th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I guess the cupboard can't be moved? In that case you should consider making the mix position narrower by sliding the right speaker to the left a bit. The goal is to have each speaker the same distance from its side wall. Or maybe pull the desk back from the front wall a bit so the front left edge clears the cupboard. Then you can slide the desk to the left. If this is not possible, you can sort of force symmetry by treating the side-wall reflection points, which is needed anyway.

--Ethan
Old 13th June 2009
Lives for gear

I see what you mean, but that 'cupboard' is all the way up to the roof as if another room, same material as the wall on the right....so it's like being in a really narrow room. It's not a coffee table or a wardrobe as I think I made it out to be

I'm looking at that popular slabs of foam on studiospares which goes pretty cheap for Higher frequency absorption

"Studiospares" Antiverb Acoustic Tile X1 at Studiospares

yay or nay? 2 of these per side mirror points?
Old 13th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislpp View Post
2 of these per side mirror points?
Sure, plus more on the ceiling at those reflection points.

--Ethan
Old 13th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Sure, plus more on the ceiling at those reflection points.

--Ethan
Then what of this lower end that makes my whole shed vibrate
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

The fact that with the cabinet, you're effectively setting your main speakers in 2 room corners...

Lack of broadband bass control? Drum kit in a corner maximizing modal exctiation?

Bryan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search