The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
another "help me to treat my small room" thread
Old 9th June 2009
Lives for gear

another "help me to treat my small room" thread

Hello !

It's time for me to move to another apartment in 1,5 month (I'm quite nervous to be honest as my current acoustic seem to be very good with very high walls and wood everywhere)

But well my future new apartment is bigger and my lady is happy ;-)heh

So as the acoustic of this small room is not good I suppose the best thing would be to make it as "dead" as possible. I will mainly track in this room as I'm not a mixing engineer at all.
My budget is around ~1200 $ US and have no issue to order overseas if shipping fees are not unrealistic. Also I will rent this apartment so no unchangeable modification in the apartment is possible !

New room summary :

- wood floor
- standard walls (no wood or other specific treatments)
- straight walls (as a cube !)

I create a small draft of this room in the word file (not accurate in the scale).

My goals are :

- avoid reflections on my vocals recordings and “wrong” frequencies
- reduce by some db volume for my neighbors (I know it is very difficult without drastic changes on my environment)
- get a more balanced representation of my sound even I'm not a mixer

Hope this is possible somehow...
thanks for your feedbacks and don't hesitate to ask more questions
P.S ; English is not my mother tongue if you haven’t realized yet ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: doc home studio design.doc (32.5 KB, 223 views)
Old 9th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post
My goals are:
- avoid reflections on my vocals recordings and “wrong” frequencies
- reduce by some db volume for my neighbors (I know it is very difficult without drastic changes on my environment)
- get a more balanced representation of my sound even I'm not a mixer
Your layout looks good for the size, so plan on as many bass traps as you can manage, plus absorption at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points.

Sound isolation is a very different problem that is more difficult to achieve. It sounds like you know that already. heh

--Ethan
Old 9th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
My budget is around ~1200 $ US and have no issue to order overseas if shipping fees are not unrealistic.
There are companies that do have offices in the US and in Europe. Us being one and others like RPG.

Glenn
Old 10th June 2009
Here for the gear

similar situation

Hello,
I'm in a similar situation in regards to room building. My room is being built in my garage for drum and band practice. I am a music student and the room is being built primarily for practicing and will not likely ever be used for recording. Nevertheless I don't want the room to wreak havoc with my ears and am hoping that it will eventually sound decent, so I want to treat it with bass traps and absorption panels etc etc.
The room is 10 x 10.5 by 8 feet tall and I know this is a terrible size for acoustics but it is as big as I could go considering that the garage is my father's and I am grateful enough that he has let me build anything in it. As for treating the room I was considering using bass traps straddled in the corners constructed out of 4" rockwool on a wooden frame with fabric wrapped around it to stop the rockwool getting everywhere (including my lungs...which I am quite fond of.) As for the absorption panels on the walls and ceiling I was considering using a similar structural design but with 2" rockwool.

Now for my questions....

> Do I need to cover each corner from floor to ceiling or is it sufficient to place the bass traps midway up, not touching the floor or ceiling?

> Should I attach the rockwool to a solid plywood backing or construct something like 'picture frame' out of 4 planks of wood and attach the rockwool to it?

> Ideally, how many absorption panels should I place on the walls and ceiling?

If there are any other flaws in my proposed methods feel free to point them out. I have only been researching in this field for the past month or so and have been trying to gather as much information from these forums and other sources as possible, without having to actually bother people. The are just some questions which I felt would be better to ask directly.

P.S.

> the internal surface of the walls and ceilings is plasterboard
> the floor is carpet tiles on top of a raised 'insulated chipboard' floor.

Thankyou very much, Steven
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
> Do I need to cover each corner from floor to ceiling or is it sufficient to place the bass traps midway up, not touching the floor or ceiling?
The more area you cover the better. So yes go floor to ceiling if you can.

Quote:
> Should I attach the rockwool to a solid plywood backing or construct something like 'picture frame' out of 4 planks of wood and attach the rockwool to it?
You never want to use a solid backing.

Quote:
> Ideally, how many absorption panels should I place on the walls and ceiling?
For bass trapping, as many corners as you can fit.
Old 10th June 2009
Lives for gear

thanks a lot Glenn and Ethan for your answer, checking also "off line" Gik acoustic Europe as well.

Wondering if someone has already experience with audimut stuff (they do not promise to sound proof in fact but to reduce some frequencies :
Quote:
Do Audimute Absorption Sheets Block Noise? NO! Audimute Sheets are for sound absorption and are not intended to be an STC solution for blocking/isolating sound. Sound absorbing products reduce and absorb reverberation (reflected sound) within a space. Bottom frequency (lower spectrum of sound) cannot be absorbed! Audimute Sheets will not eliminate low frequency sound.
I think this concept used in parallel with correct room treatment (bass traps...) is quite interesting, isn't ? You can check out some video here : Customer Applications and Photo Gallery - Audimute Soundproofing

some customers experience ?heh
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post
thanks a lot Glenn and Ethan for your answer, checking also "off line" Gik acoustic Europe as well.

Wondering if someone has already experience with audimut stuff (they do not promise to sound proof in fact but to reduce some frequencies :

I think this concept used in parallel with correct room treatment (bass traps...) is quite interesting, isn't ? You can check out some video here : Customer Applications and Photo Gallery - Audimute Soundproofing

some customers experience ?heh
Those are just thick blankets. If made thick enough they can help with upper frequencies but you have to be careful as you could end up killing the highs and still having the mids bouncing around in the room. That is the reason for using 2" panels spaced off the wall if possible.
Old 10th June 2009
Here for the gear

Hey Glenn,
thankyou very much for your help. I am amazed at the abundance of information on this site and how friendly and helpful everyone seems to be. If on each of the 4 corners I straddled a 4 feet high bass trap midway up the corner would it be significantly less effective than covering the corner all the way up from floor to ceiling? My reason for asking is that I am on somewhat of a reasonably flexible budget, but a budget nonetheless.....mainly due to being a student....and a music student at that.
Also, when it comes to putting 2" thick panels on the walls would you recommend buying sculpted foam ones or just making my own out of 2" Owens Corning or Rockwool? What would be the optimum surface area for each of the 2" thick panels? ie. should i make big ones with surface areas of say 3" x 6" or should i use many smaller panels and place them in patterns like in the left of this image

Once again thankyou very much for your help in this matter,

Steven
Old 10th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmcguinness View Post
If on each of the 4 corners I straddled a 4 feet high bass trap midway up the corner would it be significantly less effective than covering the corner all the way up from floor to ceiling?
(Post #5) ...

(principallly in a room that size)tri corners are a very important place to treat (lots of lows there).

Ciro
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
significantly less effective than covering the corner all the way up from floor to ceiling? My reason for asking is that I am on somewhat of a reasonably flexible budget, but a budget nonetheless.....mainly due to being a student....and a music student at that.
It could be as much as half, but it is not a bad start. Go for it and see how it sounds. If you cover just half way up it will be about 200 times better then nothing at all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search