The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to reduce sound escaping from room with a/c in window?
Old 9th June 2009
Gear Nut

How to reduce sound escaping from room with a/c in window?

Now that it's summer the a/c is in and you can hear the music outside just as if the window was open. Other than turning it down what can I do to reduce it until take the a/c out in the fall?
Old 9th June 2009

Use headphones.

-tINY

Old 9th June 2009
Gear Nut

I knew no matter what I typed, some one would still find a way to throw in a useless smartass reply!fuuck
Old 9th June 2009

I'm serious - short of getting rid of your window unit and going with central air or a portable unit, that is your only option.

I guess you could build a box that went over your window, but you couldn't use the AC when you had your sound blocker up....

-tINY

Old 11th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

I'm serious - short of getting rid of your window unit and going with central air or a portable unit, that is your only option.

I guess you could build a box that went over your window, but you couldn't use the AC when you had your sound blocker up....

-tINY

Oh, ok! I thought you were being a wise-ass!heh But yeah, central air would be ideal. I actually have that in my house, but the stu is in the garage which is detached from the house.
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

What you need is a ductless-split air-conditioner. The compressor sits outside (and thus does not make noise inside the studio), only the air-handler is inside. You need only make a few very small holes in the wall to run the refrigerant lines and some electric lines, if you do a nice neat job and seal it all up well, essentially no sound will escape there.

A window AC unit... this is the last thing you want for studio use. Not only will a ton of sound escape from there (and also enter), it also poses a security issue, thieves can just rip it out (or shove it in, whatever) and get inside your studios easily.

The downside to a ductless-split AC... they're a bit expensive... but worth every penny in my opinion. I wouldn't do it any other way.

I have some Fujitsus... they're awesome... extremely quiet:

Fujitsu Ductless Mini-Splits: Wall Mounted Systems

Old 11th June 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

Splits/Minisplits are great, but you have to remember that they only cool existing air, they do not provide fresh air.

This can get very important after more than a few minutes in a highly insulated, airtight room....
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post

Splits/Minisplits are great, but you have to remember that they only cool existing air, they do not provide fresh air.....
True... same with central systems.

Most window units have a control that allows you to either pull in fresh air or not, but of course if you are concerned about sound leakage in or out, a window unit is not going to work at all.

Go with a ductless-split, then add a separate ventilation / air-exchange system. With sound isolation in mind, you will probably need to build a custom ventilation system.

In my room, I added a remote fan that sucks air through a HEPA filter box and pushes the filtered air into the room via a small pipe. When I am not running the vent, I close up the pipe opening with a small dense "door" flap made of two layers of MDF (to stop sound from leaking through). When I take breaks every few hours, I open the little door flap and run the system.

Don't forget an exhaust port too, unless you just want to leave the door to the room open a bit while your vent system is running (this is what I do... I prefer this over making any more holes in the walls).

My room is even smaller than a garage, I can go several hours minimum without air exchange, no problems. But I do make it a habit to run the vent a bit whenever I take breaks. Since my room is small and my remote fan motor is very powerful (can't remember exactly at the moment, it might be 150 cfm or so), the vent system effectively exchanges almost all the air in the room in a pretty short amount of time. The downside is that if the fresh air is warm and humid, the AC will have to work that much harder... but you have this problem no matter what... yes, the trade-off for having clean fresh air-conditioned air in the studio is a slightly inflated electric bill.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search