The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Homemade acoustic panels question
Old 8th June 2009
Here for the gear

Homemade acoustic panels question

Acoustic Panels - Fiberglass insulation with reflective surface
Hi my father works in construction and has alot of fiberglass insulation lying around that I want to make acoustic panels out of. Problem is they have a reflective coating (for keeping in heat I guess?). My question is, if I'm going to cover it with fabric, does it matter if the reflective surface is taken off or not? it looks like this:

http://www.pethomes.me.uk/images/Kin...insulation.JPG

Different colour than this one but just an idea http://www.buildersmerchantsjournal....mages/5814.jpg

I have some black felt material that I will maybe cover it with (good/bad?)

Any help is much appreciated!

Sean

ps this is my first post!
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Leave the facing on for corner bass traps, and take it off for reflection points. It's that simple.

--Ethan
Old 9th June 2009
Here for the gear

Cheers Ethan,

Is it better that it is hanging at an angle on the wall (sides) or should it be sealed to the wall? I plan to put a light wooden frame around it. Also can you recommend any free software or an RTAS plug in where I can analyze the acoustics of the room before and after?

thanks again

Sean
Old 9th June 2009
Gear Guru

For panels straddling the corner you want the sides to touch the walls. For testing your room see the following. IT IS FREE!
Room EQ Wizard Home Page
Old 9th June 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks Glenn,

I have a mac and went with 'FuzzMeasure' software, seems pretty decent.

Here are pics attached of my acoustics panels.

I've removed alot of the reflective stuff from the back, and completely removed it from the front.

Question: Should they be sealed to the wall, or can I just hang them like a picture. I plan to use these for the sides of control room (my bedroom!) then I will eventually make another for the ceiling.

Am I right to say that the hanging idea would be potentially better, for deflecting and creating some space between the panel and the wall for trapping more lower frequencies?

Thanks in advance.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade acoustic panels question-panel-side.jpg   Homemade acoustic panels question-panel-top.jpg  
Old 11th June 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

You don't have to seal them. Just hang them like a picture. If you can make an airgap between the trap and the wall, even better.
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Question: Should they be sealed to the wall, or can I just hang them like a picture. I plan to use these for the sides of control room (my bedroom!) then I will eventually make another for the ceiling.
No you don't need to seal them.

Quote:
Am I right to say that the hanging idea would be potentially better, for deflecting and creating some space between the panel and the wall for trapping more lower frequencies?
Yes spacing them off the wall will help absorb a bit more low end.
Old 12th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoggraham View Post
Yep...that's right.

Frank
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks guys! will be getting them up soon, decided to paint room now as well! great website this! heh

Sean
Old 19th June 2009
R_O
Gear Head

Judging the photos you posted, those look like very rigid panels. Is that hard-foam or anything?
Old 19th June 2009
R_O
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Leave the facing on for corner bass traps, and take it off for reflection points. It's that simple.
--Ethan
I've always wondered; could I leave it also on building a 'superchunk' type trap?
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_O View Post
I've always wondered; could I leave it also on building a 'superchunk' type trap?
Hard to say, but I would remove it just to sure.
Old 20th June 2009
R_O
Gear Head

guess we have to test that in a REAL lab, right ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search