The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Small things - Big change
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Small things - Big change

My new house is now complete and we are in the process of cleaning before moving.

There is a largeish combo study-living-TV room area about 18x24ft and with an angled roof starting at 8ft at the lowest part and getting 12ft at the top.

There is a long bookshelf along the high end of the 18ft walls extending 4ft along the sidewalls. The bookshelf is 10ft high.

When it was installed, I noticed how reverberation was seriously decreased. I removed all the shelves yesterday for cleaning the bookshelf and realized that reverb and long decay times were back again. By the time the shelves were back in place the room was much quieter again.

The empty shelves on the bookshelf resemble a badly calculated 1D diffuser with all slots made equal depth. The shelves are 1.5" thick and the shelving columns range from 10" to 25" wide.

I have no idea - yet - how this is going to behave with shelves filled with books and stuff. I suppose it will add a bit of absorbtion and improve diffusion (with books having different heights and depths).

Just gives me a few things to think about the real listening room where the shelves for media and books could be arranged in such a way to resemble diffusers and become part of the treatment themselves.
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Guru

I am sure it could help break up some of the sound and yes the books will help absorb a bit also.. Here are a few articles on diffusion
How Diffusion Really Works. Spotlight on MASSIVE Mastering.
Diffusion is a Wonderful Tool by Jeff Hedback
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSi_SiDi View Post
I have no idea - yet - how this is going to behave with shelves filled with books and stuff. I suppose it will add a bit of absorbtion and improve diffusion (with books having different heights and depths).
Random books etc don't really constitute a diffusor, though they obviously absorb a little. But you need broadband absorption over as wide a range as possible, and books will definitely not do that. You'll find much more info in these videos:

All About Diffusion
The Ultimate Home Studio

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search