The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tectum Finale
Old 7th June 2009
Gear Nut

Tectum Finale

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of designing a new room for me. It will be a mixing and recording place, though i will only record vocals and guitars, no drums!

I have plans for the ceiling and floor but i'm unsure what to do with the walls.

I've been looking for a solution to cover 3 walls of the room, something that will look decent and will cut down the reflections on these walls.

I've seen a room made by a english designer and he used something like the Tectum Finale, covering all the walls of the room.

What do you guys think about it? Will it be a good solution to cut the reflections on the side walls? Will it be cheap? And who sells these stuff in Europe?

Old 7th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I don't think Tectum is thick enough to be a total solution for a recording / mixing room. Maybe if you put four inch thick rigid fiberglass behind it would be okay. But you still need corner bass traps.

--Ethan
Old 7th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
I don't think Tectum is thick enough to be a total solution for a recording / mixing room. Maybe if you put four inch thick rigid fiberglass behind it would be okay. But you still need corner bass traps.

--Ethan
Of course! Bass traps are a must.

I was just thinking of something to cover the walls! I don't want it to be just plain cement wall.

Are curtains are a good option? Maybe to get rockwool on the walls and cover it with fabric?
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

You need broadband absorption, where curtains absorb only high frequencies. However, curtains in front of rigid fiberglass works well.

--Ethan
Old 9th June 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks Ethan!

Btw, i've always had this doubt! I'm not an english native speaker. Is roockwool the same that fiberglass?

Isn't fiberglass the thing to put on boats and surfboards?
Old 9th June 2009
Gear Guru
Fibre

Hi Alanwes, there are many many fibre insulation products. SheepsWool, Hemp, Recycled Cotton, Rockwool, Fibreglass and so on. Given a similar density they will all do they job.
Take a look at http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Note that 703 has a density of 3 pounds per cubic foot.
To go metric multiply by 16 i.e. 48KG per cubic metre.

In general-
Rockwool is often used at higher densities. 100KG is common for a rigid board.
Fibreglass is more rigid, Rockwool is floppy.

DD
Old 15th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hello, Ethan!

What if one were to have Tectum panels readily available to you and wanted to make them into “DIY” acoustic panels and bass traps (providing that one knows the proper thickness measurements for such panels) Would they still just as effective as any professional panels??? I ask because I happen to live near the Tectum factory and they are always giving away multiple leftover layers of Tectum as free remnants. I am aware that most acoustic panels have to be a minimum of 2” thick and that bass traps need to be a minimum of 4” thick. I am also handy with tools, so I have no problem taking numerous Tectum layers and constructing them to a certain thickness if need be.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search