The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
is this a good way of building bass traps?
Old 6th June 2009
is this a good way of building bass traps?

i've looked all over my local hardware stores and no one seems to have the 2" semi rigid fiber glass, but they do have a ton of the stuff this guy is using on his tutorial. and it's really damn cheap.

Geisen DIY Corner Bass Trap

page 2 is where the fun starts
Old 6th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Yes, that will work, but you'll do better to find the proper materials. Check your local heating and air conditioning suppliers.

--Ethan
Old 6th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Yes, that will work, but you'll do better to find the proper materials. Check your local heating and air conditioning suppliers.

--Ethan
will do

wont that still cost me a lot more though? i calculated that all the materials to build 4 of the ones in the tutorial will cost me around $50
Old 7th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
i calculated that all the materials to build 4 of the ones in the tutorial will cost me around $50
Looking at the gear list on your MySpace page, I calculate you have a heck of a lot more than $50 invested in your setup. It seems pointless to have all that gear, then cheap out on the one thing that will allow all that stuff to sound its best.

--Ethan
Old 8th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Looking at the gear list on your MySpace page, I calculate you have a heck of a lot more than $50 invested in your setup. It seems pointless to have all that gear, then cheap out on the one thing that will allow all that stuff to sound its best.

--Ethan
ebay man

refurbished macbook pro

i got the dcs open box for $600 heh

$100 holiday deal off the duet

traded a present for the korg r3

and so on

i'm just trying to get the best deal i can just like everything else i've bought up to this day
Old 8th June 2009
Lives for gear

Dude believe you don't want to cheap out your traps! OC 703 is awsome and it will not cost you as much as you think. I got 12 peices of 2" 2'X4' for $99. And that is their normal everyday price. All the money you are going to pay in the wood that is in that tutorial you will gain if you built the traps that I build.

Here is a tutorial! Changed my mixing environment drastically.

Listen to these guys because they know their sh#t
Old 8th June 2009
i still can't find it around here.. my second choise is buying it online 12 for $150 :/
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Check out local yards with building and roofing material. This is where fiberglas and mineral wool is sold around here. And the price for fluffy fiberglass and semi rigid mineral wool is practically the same. Look for 3lb/sqf density.

It is the density that functions for absorbtion mechanics and compressing loose fiberglass would not be, IMHO, the easiest or healthiest of tasks.
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Head

Just Excellent! I'm going to try this myself.
Old 8th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSi_SiDi View Post
Check out local yards with building and roofing material. This is where fiberglas and mineral wool is sold around here. And the price for fluffy fiberglass and semi rigid mineral wool is practically the same. Look for 3lb/sqf density.

It is the density that functions for absorbtion mechanics and compressing loose fiberglass would not be, IMHO, the easiest or healthiest of tasks.
well i live in boca raton so there's not much of that around here. i'm gonna get on the yellow pages to see if maybe i can find one of those somewhere close though. hopefully i can find something because i don't want to either buy them online or go through the trouble of compressing the loose fiberglass. i've worked with it before and i do know how much of a pain in the ass it is. gotta wear goggles, a dust mask, and prepare to be covered in fiber glass. for a few hours.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search