The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Advice on treating a small live room
Old 27th May 2009
Here for the gear

Advice on treating a small live room

need advice on this drum / tracking room

i have read alot of articles and posts on this subject but am instantly stuck on what to purchase.

i have decent high end home studio right now but am seriously lacking in my recording rooms. 1 room can not be treated & the only other room i have open for this is some what small and has a window & door opening with no door.

i have been using this room to track drums but would like to acoustically treat it so that it stops the crazy bouncing.

would ultimatley like to be able to record vocals / amped instruments / strings / horns / drums in this room. so i am guessing i need mad absorbtion panels & bass traps??

is there a better option then adding a door? (standing trap that i could move when done recording?)

walls are 1/8 ply wood panels
wood floors (using a carpet rug for drums)

attached is a ****ty drawing of the room dimensions

little under 10' long by 7.5' wide and little under 9' tall

how removable are hanging wall traps? if i were to move in 2 years would i be able to take them down without hurting wall and use for next studio spot?

all your help is grealty appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on treating a small live room-live-room-5-27.jpg  
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Guru

wow with a room that small I would bass trap the heck out of it (corners) and use 4" panels all along the walls and ceiling. Yes the room may end up kind of dead sounding, but I don't think you would want any of that room sound.

Glenn
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Can't speak to others but our panels hang just like a picture frame. No more damage than filling a small nail hole.

On the ceiling, you'd need something like plant hooks but even those can be filled relatively easily.

Drums is going to be really tough in that room. I'd agree with Glenn that you're going to have to trap it pretty hard. I'd leave the floor hard and go with a soft ceiling.

Bryan
Old 27th May 2009
Here for the gear

thanks for quick responses on this

i sent glenn a pm looking for more insight on your GIK panels ( i like your options)

now when we say "trap it pretty hard" are we talking like 3 of the 242s per wall with some inches inbetween to center them and corner bass traps or are am i looking at needing to cover all of the wood?

i figured 3 per wall and 4 on the ceiling plus each corner with bass traps at first but is the space from floor to panel and from panel to ceiling going to be an issue?

thanks again for all help
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

I'd say:

4 corners
Cloud over the drums
Panels behind the drummer

Potentially some panels on stands for a bit of flexibility in the sound.

Bryan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search