The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Another acoustic panel...
Old 24th May 2009
Lives for gear

Another acoustic panel...

So, there are a million designs for acoustic panels, but I made one today that (at least I think) turned out pretty cool, so I'd thought I'd share.

This is a pretty big panel - its a 1x6 frame with 4" of 703 in it.

I used some small pieces of wood to provide a backing for the 703, which by default helped guarantee a small (1.5") air gap "built into" the panel when its hanging (should help the low end out a bit).

The sides that are covered aren't red oak (like the top and molding). They are just stock wood (aka cheap!). I used a jigsaw to cut out some rough rectangles in between the back supports. This helped cut down on weight, exposes a few more feet^2 of insulation, etc...

The molding is 1" outside corner molding. It only covers where there is already wood, so it shouldn't have an impact on reflections. I couldn't figure out to miter the "tri-corners", so I just did them as shown. They look OK, but if anyone knows a finish carpenter that is good on angles... My miter saw only rotates L and R (blade doesn't tilt), so it may be near impossible on mine. I used paneling nails instead of finish/brad nails, because I wanted the look of the little dots (which turned out to be a pain, since red oak really doesn't like accepting weak little nails...)

If anyone has any interest, I can provide more specific construction details. (Same thing for my gobo - My DIY Gobo)

Its pretty cheap to build, especially since the only good wood is the molding + top/bottom.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Another acoustic panel...-dscf0332.jpg   Another acoustic panel...-dscf0338.jpg   Another acoustic panel...-dscf0335.jpg   Another acoustic panel...-dscf0339.jpg  
Old 26th May 2009
Gear Guru

wow those look super cool!! Great job and I bet they will work very well in your room.
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Love it!

Frank
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback from the pros

I just finished up the last of my black fabric. I've got bright walls in the room, but anymore and its going to turn into a black hole...

Really flattening out in here though - walking around with filtered pink noise and/or sine tones on really helped me hear the progression of the room (much less of a difference between modal resonances)
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Maniac

I like the design of this very much, nice work.

I was working on something similar where the back of the OC703 is hidden behind the fabric so the panel kind of "floats" off the front. Very cool effect. But I was going for maximum exposure of the rigid fiberglass and I was never happy with the structural integrity so I abandoned it...

Is the long side of your design a solid piece of wood or is the fiberglass exposed along that edge?
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

^^You can kind of see if from the back picture - I used a jigsaw to cut three big rectangles out of each of the long sides. It adds over 2 sq. ft of additional insulation exposure, so it should be at least somewhat effective.

Luckily, its very strong even though I cut the rectangles out. Cutting them out also helped on weight. This thing will be pretty easy to hang on the wall, but every bit of weight shedding will help...
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcok View Post
^^You can kind of see if from the back picture - I used a jigsaw to cut three big rectangles out of each of the long sides. It adds over 2 sq. ft of additional insulation exposure, so it should be at least somewhat effective.

Luckily, its very strong even though I cut the rectangles out. Cutting them out also helped on weight. This thing will be pretty easy to hang on the wall, but every bit of weight shedding will help...
Ah yes, looking carefully again I can see now. Your design works because the side is still all one solid piece. Our's failed because it was all 1 x 2, separate pieces front and back of frame, and we could not figure out the "float" in a way that wasn't a huge pain and was strong enough. Here is what we came up with a pic of our first prototype from last weekend before we built a bunch of these.

It is:

Very light
Very strong
Uses a minimum of materials (1x2 pine / Glue / 8 sheetrock screws, Covering fabric / insulation)
Pretty Easy/Fast to construct

I can post a more detailed build with instruction of these when I get some time.

If I had the time I would build yours, they really look nicer to me but these are going to work just fine. I still prefer the hidden frame in the back.

For our design the insulation is exposed in all four sides and the standoffs not only hold the frame together but create a solid mounting point for the wall and build in an automatic 2 inch air gap. The material itself holds the insulation in and the back is also covered to keep dust/fibers down. :-)

The fabric is FR701 "medium Gray" (thanks Frank!)
Sorry about the crummy pic.

james
Attached Thumbnails
Another acoustic panel...-trap_proto4.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search