The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1 x 8 or 2 x 4 absorbers?
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Maniac

1 x 8 or 2 x 4 absorbers?

I have one remaining sheets of 2 inch 703 in 4' x '8 size that I have not cut down yet.

I was thinking since my cr is long and narrow (about 9.5 wide by 14 long) that it might be good to make two 1 x 8 panels, four inch depth, to cover more of the ceiling /wall corner on either side of the room.

More effective than two standard 2 x 4 (4 inch) panels up near the mix area but would leave several feet of corner untreated towards the back of the room?

I'm thinkin' (or not ) that the square footage for each size is the same, but the 1 x 8 will cover much more "real estate" of my actual ceiling / side wall corner.

Or maybe 2' x 8' in only a 2 inch thick is best?

suggestions? thanks.

( as shown have already superchunked the front corners around mix station plus 2 inch 703 in 3 x 4 size in the RFZ plus a few more broad band traps along the side walls etc.)
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Maniac

here's the pic that forgot to upload...
Attached Thumbnails
1 x 8 or 2 x 4 absorbers?-picture-3.jpg  
Old 19th May 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

If it were me, I'd go 2x4 panels in that wall/ceiling corner. 12" wide corner traps aren't really large enough to have great effect.
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I was thinking since my cr is long and narrow (about 9.5 wide by 14 long) that it might be good to make two 1 x 8 panels, four inch depth, to cover more of the ceiling /wall corner on either side of the room.
You would need to test it to see but some upper low/mids would absorb more with the 1x8s but once you get down below 100hz the 2x4 (IME) would be more effective. I think if you have a lot more areas filled you could get away with it, but play it save and stick with the 2x4
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Maniac

OK, thanks very helpful Glen / JWL.

Since the the room is so small I think the more of that <100 stuff I tame the better. 2 x 4 it is. Later on I'll try and add a couple more further back.
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Another option is to do something the entire length that's say 6"x6" square. That will cover a lot of corner and give you something thick enough to extend down decently into the bottom end.

Bryan
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi Bryan thanks, i think I did not make it totally clear with my stechup... the cutaway wall not shown will also need something on that side too for symmetry. The 6 x 6 might be good for a cloud, but I have sprinklers oddly spaced on the ceiling so it won't fit between them :-(
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

What I'm talking about is a 6" wide, 6" thick 'mini-soffit' along both side wall/ceiling corners.

Bryan
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

What I'm talking about is a 6" wide, 6" thick 'mini-soffit' along both side wall/ceiling corners.

Bryan
ahh... no i was misunderstanding.... hmmm interesting idea.
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

Bryan
lol lol lol... you and those mini-soffit's. lol lol lol.... (inside company joke)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search