The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Acoustic treatment for 'triangular' room...
Old 17th May 2009
Lives for gear

Question Acoustic treatment for 'triangular' room...

It looks like I'm going to be moving home and my edit suite is going to be in a loft room in the roof. It is a weird shape so I'm wondering how best to treat it.

The room is 30' long, about 11' wide and the ceiling is only 7' high in the middle and slopes down either side (i.e. roof shaped, so the room has a triangular cross-section). Based on cursory 'clap' checks the room is not lively.

Any hints would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks.
Old 17th May 2009
Lives for gear

Can you post some pictures?

My first guess without seeing it would be that you will want a fair amount of absorption on the sloped area. The "bottom sides" of the triangle (fairly unusable I assume from the height) would be a good space for lots of fuzzy bass trapping.
Old 17th May 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recording David View Post
The room is 30' long, about 11' wide and the ceiling is only 7' high in the middle and slopes down either side
Set up your speakers at one end, firing toward the other end 30 feet away. You'll need plenty of bass traps, and also absorption under the peak and at reflection points. That room is very long. Do you need the full length? Can you make a wall partway back?

--Ethan
Old 17th May 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks both for your responses.

@Smithcok - no, I'm sorry I don't have any photos yet. Would the bottom angles of the triangle need to be bass trapped all the way down, or at random points to diffuse?

@Ethan - I don't understand what you mean by 'under the peak' - could you please clarify? Do you mean middle of the ceiling (top angle of the triangle)?

Many thanks.
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
@Ethan - I don't understand what you mean by 'under the peak' - could you please clarify? Do you mean middle of the ceiling (top angle of the triangle)?
Yes along the center peak.

Come on Ethan post that picture!!! lol lol
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Below is the famous photo of my home studio ceiling. heh

My ceiling is 12 feet high at the peak, so I have plenty of room to hang stuff below the peak. In your case you'll put traps flat on the ceiling rather than lower the height even more. But the concept is the same - absorption under the peak to avoid the focusing effect.

--Ethan

Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear

I'd agree that it would be good if you could wall off a portion of it so it's not SO long compared to wide.

On the slants, you can also use some diffusion to make it sound a bit large than what it is.

In addition to doing the 'corner' at the ceiling peak, you could easily use some verticals to chop off the floor/wall corner and get a lot of nice broadband absorption in there without losing an real usable floorspace.

Bryan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search